How can I retrieve my Outlook Express emails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was deleting files in Windows Explorer, how I managed to delete my Outlook Express folder contents also I just don't know. I then went into the recycle bin and managed to restore 'something'! But, nothing is readable! I think I need to do something else!

Please, please help!

How can I retrieve them? What is bdx?

Saph

Sponsored Links
I am fairly sure there is a programme called "recover my e-mails" that I believe works with outlook express. Take a look at download.com.

Most email recovery programs are 'Paid for'. They may offer to find deleted emails but then you pay to open the files that they find.

Give Recuva a try, it is FREE and comes from the Ccleaner People.

http://www.recuva.com/

If you are not specific as to what types of files to look for it will come up with a shed load for you to go through, so try it first looking for .dbx files.

dave

Where did you delete the emails from? Foldfers in Outlook Express or folders in My Documents?

Tks, jj4091. I'm trying not to have to pay to download something because as Dave (suggestion after yours) says they send a whole load of dross with it and they will only download only what 'they' can find.

Now the embarrassing question, did I delete the emails via Outlook Express or My Documents? For some reason there was a folder in my documents called Outlook. I definitely hadn't named it so I can only imagine that I have somehow managed to do 'something daft' between Outlook and My Documents. I couldn't had done that if I had been paid to!!

I am going to give http://www.recuva.com a try. Fingers crossed. I'll let you know.

Obliged

Saph

Sponsored Links
Well, I downloaded http://www.recuva.com, as suggested by Dave, and not matter how hard it tried (and boy did it try - what a fab website - it's free but well deserves voluntary contributions!) but I'm afraid my files still were not retrievable!

What I forgot to mention ealier was that at the beginning of my panic I went into the recycle bin and was able to restore the Outlook files but I couldn't read them as they had a dbx extension. I then tried to download http://www.dbxbackup.com thinking it was free. When it told me that it had managed to rescue around 25 out of about 300 lost files it asked for payment. As 25 files were not worth the fee I declined - it was then that I notices that the files (restored from the recycle bin) had changed appearance. They now have a distinctive 'curved lime green arrow pointing downwards'. When I click on any of them it calls up the www.dbxbackup.com website again.

Does this mean that the www.dbxbackup.com has effectively managed to 'take hostage' of my files until I pay up?

This is so, so urgent, I can't tell you. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Regards

Saph

Where did you store all those emails once you had read or written them?
Did you keep them in folders in OE or did you Save them to folders in My Documents?

Did you open that 'Outlook' folder before deleting it?

I know this is a bit stable door and horse but, OE is not a very stable (forgive the pun) program to store important messages in. When it compacts, which it does every 100 times you open the program, if anything at all interupts it, it will lose everything in the folders.
You should ALWAYS save emails to folders in My Documents. And then have a Backup to elsewhere.

I am not sure what that program is doing with the files it found, it looks like it has laid claim to the leads that it found.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful, but reading about deleted emails does not give much hope of retrieving them.

dave

Have you got ALL the dbx files intact? You should be able to import them back into OE from the File menu.

Tks, jj4091. I'm trying not to have to pay to download something because as Dave (suggestion after yours) says they send a whole load of dross with it and they will only download only what 'they' can find
Saph
Iwas only trying to point you in a direction, there are other sites where things cost nothing(P#######Y :( )

Igorian

Yes all the dbx files are intact but how do I import for a folder in MY DOCUMENTS?

jj4091

I didn't mean to appear ungrateful for your advice. I realise that there are lots of possible websites to check out I'm just not confident enough to do this myself without the risk of making the wrong choice!

Saph

can you rename the files extension to stop that program accessing them

Before you go any further - BACK THE FILES UP! Save copies of them somewhere safe - a pen-drive, or something. Then, if you do something desperate, you won't have lost your only copies.

As 25 files were not worth the fee I declined - it was then that I notices that the files (restored from the recycle bin) had changed appearance. They now have a distinctive 'curved lime green arrow pointing downwards'. When I click on any of them it calls up the www.dbxbackup.com website again.

From your description, this is just a file association, I think. If you right click on the icons, then select 'properties' and 'open with', you can change the program they associate to. You could temporarily switch to 'notepad' for now - it won't open them, but it will ensure that dbxbackup goes away...

If these files are not corrupted, then I guess what you are wanting to do is to get them back into Outlook Express?

Here's what I would do...

1. Find out where all your dbx. files are, by doing a search. By default, Outlook Express stores the dbx in more than one known location. So they could be in a number of places. Look here:

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

This will give you some idea where to look, but you could just search the whole drive. The search may turn up the files you have recovered as well as some other files with the same names - keep a close eye on the locations to make sure you know what you are looking at. It's a bit complicated because your computer may have created some new files and folders to replace the ones you deleted, and it may have given them the same names as the originals. But the new ones will be smaller (because they are fresh, and empty of data)

The folder the files are in is hidden, so you need to unhide it first. You should also make the extensions visible and click to show system files. If you're not sure how to do that, come back. Try to resist the temptation to delete anything!

Basically, what you need to do is have a look to see what the damage actually is. What do you see in C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID} or C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express?

What files do you still have? And what sizes are they?

We need to know what you have in the locations suggested and the details of your backed up/recovered files.

Click File and then Import and then select Messages.

On the Select Program dialogue, select your Outlook Express version (probably 6) and click Next.

Click the "Import Mail from an OE6 Store Directory" radio button and click OK.

Use the Browse button to navigate to your DBX location and click Next.

If all is intact, you should see a dialogue showing all your mailstore folders. Select the ones you want to import or All Folders and click Next. Should be job done.

If you see no folders displayed, you may have lost/damaged one or more of the stores or the Index store is missing.

WOW! These suggestions are amazing! I shall have a go and let you know.

I should warn you that I will probabbly get back to you with somemore daft questions!

Thank you all so much, so far!

Saph

Sponsored Links
Back