Outlook empties my Yahoo inbox.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
When i access outlook express it empties all my messages from my Yahoo inbox. How can i stop this and retrieve my messages?
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I assume you want to leave a copy on the server to read online?

In OE, open Tools and then click Accounts. Highlight the appropriate account and click Properties. Click Advanced and tick the box "Leave a copy of messages on server".

Hi;
Thanks for the advice will give it a try. Is there any way to stop this transfer happening if i decide to open Outlook Express (any boxes I haven't ticked)Or could it be some sort of fault that has developed on my system,and I will have to be careful about opening oulook Express. I can
access my messages that have been transfered and stored in Outlook Express but its a bit of a pain. Thanks for the help.

I find what you've said confusing.

Do you want to read your Yahoo email using Outlook Express? If not, simply delete the account from the OE accounts menu. I assume you use it for multiple accounts?

Sponsored Links
Follow igorian's first advice. If you don't want it to download and delete any more emails, disconnect your computer from the internet (unplug the phone, or switch off the router or cable box) before your open OE..

Then go into OE and set it to "Leave a copy of messages on server"

OE is behaving correctly; you have added an account to OE for your Yahoo mail and told OE that it uses a POP3 server. POP3 is designed to be a collect-retrieve-delete method that removes mail from an internet server and stores it on your machine. Another protocol, IMAP4 allows you to work with messages while they are on the server (move messages around, forward and delete them) without having to download them first, but Yahoo do not (as far as I know) offer an IMAP4 service.

If you investigate and find that they do offer IMAP4, then you should create another account in OE for your Yahoo, this time stating "My incoming mail server is an IMAP4" in the account creation wizard

Hi,
Thanks for the time you have both taken to help me out. It's been a great help. Many thanks Gary.

Back