How to I get outlook express up and running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please tell how do I get outlook express up and running.

I have windows XP and it just comes up outlook express but i just do not know what to do to use this.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jaytee

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to create a new account with Outlook Express so that it will retrieve your mail?

Hi,

Sorry I am a bit new to the whole outlook express thing. yes I am trying to use outlook express so yes I suppose i need to set up an account/ Is that correct?

Sometimes if i am say in a website and i need to email someone say i was looking at a hotel and went to email the reservations department it might come up as outlook express as a way of emailing them. This is what i am trying to do.

Thanks.

You need to open Outlook Express, click on Tools then Accounts. Click on Add an account and then follow the instructions. You need the POP 3 and STMP settings from your ISP. These have to be typed into the relevant boxes when setting up your account. You don't say who your ISP is, but ask them for all the information you need before you start. Get some help from a friend if you have problems. It is easy once you have done it, but I guess a bit daunting if it is your first time! When it is all set up correctly and you are online and want to send a link via your email programme, Outlook Express should open up when you right click on a link and choose the 'send to' link. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
There are far better mail clients out there other than Outlook Express and before setting up your client you may want to look into using one of those alternatives, Outlook Express is old, no longer updated and potentially open to a variety of security issues. I highly recommend Thunderbird.

Thunderbird:
http://www.thunderbird.com

With Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo mail etc there is no need to use Outlook Express all can be used on line. Many service providers also do on line service for email as well.
However using Outlook Express for Hotmail etc does strip out all the adverts and I use it for all my accounts.

I would have said on line was safer way but my Son-in-law seems to have virus on his on line account and I get repeated SPAM which has his email address and so do other in his address book. I have had to set up a rule to auto delete these.

This is of course another advantage of Outlook Express rules can be entered to organise your mail to make it easy to know which need immediate attention.

But it's all down to personal preference. I prefer Outlook Express to Outlook in spite of latter having more options.

I would have said on line was safer way but my Son-in-law seems to have virus on his on line account and I get repeated SPAM which has his email address and so do other in his address book. I have had to set up a rule to auto delete these.

This is not how viruses work. Most likely, he used an easily guessed or brute-forced password.

Back