transferring outlook express files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ive got a problem with old hard drive windows wont load ,is it possible to transfer files folders from the old outlook express folders to the new outlook express?. Or must i have the operating system working on old hard drive first? .you are helping with that too i am asking alot thanks

Sponsored Links
if you can copy files off the old disk, you need to copy all the .dbx files off it, which are you mail logs. You can also copy the .wab file (address book). You can export the Mail Accounts from Outlook express (they are .iaf files) or copy them off if OE is not working.

You can then later copy them onto your new hard drive.

You might also be able to use the Files & Settngs Transgfer Wizard if it is working.

It is a good idea to copy them to a CD once a month or so.

hi i managed to find the address book form old hard drive and import that after allowing hidden files . i also found some inbox dbx files and drafts dbx files etc so how can i get these back into my new outlook express. ive got them in a folder on the new drive but cant work out how to get them back in outlook on the new drive thanks so far

Sponsored Links
search the new drive for where the directory where the new .dbx files are and copy your old ones into there. If you have any with the same name rename them first, e.g. Fredmail.dbx to Fredmail2.dbx

If you prefer you can look into Outlook to see where the maillogs are (Options, Maintenance, Store Folder).

You need to do it with Outlook not running. It is better to do it before connecting and receiving mail.

When you start up Outlook next time it will have a look to see what files it can find.

You wil then want to do a bit of housekeeping to move emails into the mailog you want and delete the ones you've emptied.

JohnD said:
search the new drive for where the directory where the new .dbx files are and copy your old ones into there. If you have any with the same name rename them first, e.g. Fredmail.dbx to Fredmail2.dbx

If you prefer you can look into Outlook to see where the maillogs are.

You need to do it with Outlook not running. It is better to do it before connecting and receiving mail.

When you start up Outlook next time it will have a look to see what files it can find.

You wil then want to do a bit of housekeeping to move emails into the mailog you want and delete the ones you've emptied.

Huh?

Once you have located the old dbx files, import them back into OE using the OE import function from the File menu.

When looking for the files try here :

C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{3F0B74A8-862B-43CE-933F-7520DC560FAA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

*this string will be different on your pc {3F0B74A8-862B-43CE-933F-7520DC560FAA}

Outlook Express->Tools->Options->[Advanced->]Maintenance->Store Folder

This will tell you exactly which folder your .dbx files are stored in.

Even better..
Open OE.
'Tools'
'Options'
'Maintenance'
'Store Folder'

...Read, copy or change the name of the 'Store folder'... Cancel to leave as is.

Some useful stuff.
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/index.htm

If you should manually copy a .DBX file to the store folder and there is not a correspondingly named folder within OE (created normally through OE's 'File' 'New' 'Folder') then the contents of the copied file will not be shown in the OE folder tree and therefore not be accessable... Create a local folder with the .DBX filename (not the 'dot or extension DBX'), in OE then 'bingo' all is revealed... or should be.
If you manually remove a .DBX file and there is a local folder of that name in OE folder tree, then OE, on restart, creates a new empty .dbx file of the same name.
Why mention all that? I am not sure what happens to same named folders and files when importing -- One may inadvertantly lose current data.

:cool:

Um ,I think you guys are missing the point. If you read the original post you will see that windows wont boot , so 'opening outlook express' isnt an option.

BoxCleva said:
Um ,I think you guys are missing the point. If you read the original post you will see that windows wont boot , so 'opening outlook express' isnt an option.
Good point, but it was only me who got it wrong, and I reckon I led empip astray. Apologies for being a tw*t.

hi i tried dropping them into outlook dbx file folder i renamed them too but when i opened outlook up no new folders i will try the trasfer wizard thanks for help so far

Sponsored Links
Back