Outlook Express Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system is an Acer Aspire desktop with XP Home. I never use my outlook Express for normal day to day emailing, I go through my Tiscali or Hotmail accounts.

The only time Outlook Express is utilized is when I visit a company's web site, and try to contact them. When the Outlook Express box appears, I fill in my message and try to send it. However it never works, says connection failed and gives the following message;

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005

I haven't a clue what this means. Someone told me that a certain Windows update has caused problems with people's Outlook Express. If this is my problem, how do I fix it?

I also get a regular pop-up from my computer saying Windows Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low. Is this connected, what does it mean?

Many thank

Sponsored Links
Someone may relate this ...

22 April 2008 - Microsoft Outlook Express team said:
Dear Microsoft Outlook Express customer,

Thank you for using Microsoft® Outlook® Express. Our information indicates that you use Outlook Express to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account via a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol). DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a web-based mail server.
As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail, a free desktop e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This next generation of free e-mail software will allow you to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts—including Windows Live Hotmail, plus other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Better yet, Windows Live Mail integrates well with other Windows Live services, and downloads in minutes. After you provide your user name and password, you will automatically be linked to your Hotmail account, providing continued access to your email and contacts....

BUT,

[url=http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2008/05/06/windows-live-hotmail-technical-support-blog-responding-to-customer-feedback-disabling-dav.aspx]Someone here [/url] said:
...Recently, many customers received notification regarding Microsoft’s
plan to disable the DAV protocol, which allows you to access your
Windows Live Hotmail inbox from Outlook Express. From the feedback we
received, it became clear that you needed additional time to evaluate
alternative solutions and with this in mind, we are postponing the
transition deadline previously announced.
This means that you will
continue to be able to access your Windows Live Hotmail accounts from
Outlook Express beyond the June 30 transition deadline...

Better start evaluating alternatives ...
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back