How can I stabilise a huge dry stone wall?

11 Oct 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a house which is one of four old stone terraces built at the top of a hill maybe on an old quarry.

My neighbour in the cottage at the end of my garden has a huge stone retaining wall, around the height of the house. My property sits higher.

It is bulging, mainly the section on my next door neighbours side.
The people at the bottom are saying they have to remove some of that to repair and investigate and my section may collapse.

They are saying it's a party wall and I should help pay to get it sorted which could be a very expensive job.

They have tried a couple of local companies who would not touch the job.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing please?

I will try to post pics soon, but imagine a massive dry stone wall, that may have rock behind or soil.
That is bulging in places
Sponsored Links
3 Sep 2006
Reaction score
West Mids
United Kingdom
You need either a very experienced specialist tradesperson in that type of walling, not any old builder. But there is an inherent problem in letting a firm diagnose the repair work that they will then get to do.

You or they may be better off with getting an experienced structural engineer to diagnose and prepare a remedial schedule. They could also organise a tender to suitable firms.

Or involve your insurer.

Also get advice on whether you have any responsibility or liability for this repair or associated damage. It's not clear from your description.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links