How can I turn this radiator valve off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help me with this radiator valve?

I'm trying to remove a radiator for plastering / decorating. At one end, there is a thermostatic valve which is fine. And at the other end is this, with a smooth round spindle and flat top:

IMG_1260.JPG

Any ideas on how to turn this off? I've only ever see the lockshield type with a squared top that you turn with pliers (although I've only ever removed 2 radiators before...)

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get some grips on the top bit and slowly turn it off, holding the rest of the valve with more grips to stop the whole thing coming loose. If I were you I'd replace it anyway as once you've decorated you don't want that ugly thing in place, do you?

Cheers - I thought that might be the answer, but didn't want to risk damaging the valve and causing a leak. Is that how this type of valve is supposed to be opened?

And yes - I'll get a pro in to bleed the system and change the valves etc. once I've finished. Just wanted to save a call-out fee for this, the other radiators were easy to remove.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Using WD40, grips and pliers I've turned it clockwise as far as I can, it's almost flush with the nut:

IMG_1262.JPG

I can't tell whether it will turn much more or not, but I do have some spare blanking nuts.
Would it be advisable to remove the rad, and put a blanking nut straight over any potential leak? Could that work?

That way I can carry on with decorating, and call in someone to do a proper replacement afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 439
Is it a sealed system, do you have a pressure gauge anywhere? If so turn off all the other rads, counting the lockshield valve turns on each one, so they can be returned to that setting, and vent that rad until all the pressure's gone. Alternatively bung the feed tank. Then crack the rad nut and drain into a tray until no more water. It'll give you the best option for getting it done & minimise system inhibitor loss as chances are that valve won't be fully turned off.

Job done. That valve was closed, in fact the thermostatic valve on the other side leaked.... both ends are now capped, radiator is off and the system re-pressurised and working fine.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back