Radiator Removal: Odd Looking Lockshield Valve

4 Aug 2020
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi All;

I need some guidance on isolating a radiator, for it to be drained and removed for decorating purposes

The radiator is very old (installed in 1986) and rusted in places and will undoubtedly need replacing. The radiator has a regular TRV, which will be turned off and water will will be drained from this side of the radiator. The heating system is closed and is connected to a combi boiler.

However, the side with the lockshield valve looks alien to me. I've only experienced/ seen lockshield valves with a spindle, which I've turned clockwise to cut off the flow with a pair of pliers.

I've removed the cap, which was held loosely with a screw (photos attached).

Do I need a special key to remove this valve?



  • 1_LockShieldValve.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2_TopCoverRemoved.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 3_TopDownView.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links