Radiator valve/lockshield - are they interchangeable?

20 Mar 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I recently fitted three new radiators and rather than use the traditional valve lockshield pairings I used a thumbwheel(?) on/off/adjust valve on each radiator which combined a drain off point and a standard thumbwheel valve instead of a lockshield as the plumbers had run out of lockshields.
Do these thumbwheel valves have a unidirectional flow as I have found that I get a drip from the centre shaft when it is turned to certain positions. I have tried tightening the gland nut but it does not seem to help.

Could anybody please offer any advice where the valve and lockshield should be fitted - ie on the flow or return?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
If they are not thermostatic it does not matter which end.

I applaud you on using the ones with drain-offs.
Thanks JohnD

At least I do not have to change the valves. There is just one other question - should I use the valve which carries out the lockshield function (balancing) on the flow side or the return side of the radiator. There seems to be many different views on the correct method.

Sponsored Links
it dont mater if u ballance on flow or return, u are only reducing the flow through the rad to create a back pressure so the water will go to alterative routes as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local