Removing lockshield valves from a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've moved into a new house recently, and I've been replacing the radiator valves with new TRVs and lockshields. Some clever soul removed all the thermostatic heads :rolleyes: and having drained the system down I figured I might as well replace the lockshields as well.

My problem is that I can't get the connectors between the radiator and the lockshields out. Turning the nut causes the lockshield to rotate but the connector doesn't move.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Hold the valve still and turn the nutas though you were screwing it into the radiator - which will be the other way from the direction you've been trying. The nut stays loose on the bit in the rad.

Then you use a key to get the part out of the radiator. There are several, the simplest being like a big allen key. Some taper to accommodate different sizes, and some have slots for keyways etc. You CAN undo them with a pair of grips in the end, but you'll need something decent to get the new ones in - (unless you go with the ones with a square on the outside of the tube. I'd advise against those because its harder to get the rad off when you need to.)

I remember wheb I first came across them I used a cold chisel which had a hex shaft. You'll see examples on the Monument-tools site.

Thanks for that ChrisR, had a look inside one of the radaitor connectors and found the fitting for a hex shaped key.

Cheers

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back