Lockshield fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post here but used the site a lot! Very helpful.

I'm fitting TRVs and new lockshields to my radiators. On one radiator I can only fit the lockshield if the valve is pointing horizontal, rather than vertical like on the others, without me having to reconfigure the pipes. I've tried loosening the pipes out of their supports to see if there's some give but no chance.

Does it matter if the lockshield is fitted horizontal or vertical?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally the manufactures instructions, will show how they are fitted.
Generally does not matter though, it is only an open an shut valve, direction of flow should not matter.
But be aware that one radiator, should be fitted with lockshields only (no TVR).

As long a it's a bi-directional one there's no reason why not - until the better half sees the final result and indicates displeasure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Actually managed to gain the 10mm I needed by loosening off the pipes in the next room's radiator in the end. Useful to know though.

Got one radiator without a TRV. Bathroom. Does it matter how many radiators there are in the system? Only one needed without TRV regardless of number of radiators in the system? We have 11 rads.

Where is your thermostat? In the hall maybe
That rad should have lock shields on
Else the thermostat and the TRV compete with one anothet

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of NOT having a TRV on one radiator?

Some systems are not happy if all rads are shut down because all rooms have reached their selected temperature.

One room should have a radiator fitted with a pair of valves (or 2 lockshield valves) and have a room thermostat. The room 'stat will shut the boiler down when that room reaches temperature, normally a hall or landing.

I nearly always fit locks shields to the bathroom rad (or at least a wheel head) cos this rad will always be on when the heating is, and the rad where the room stat is to be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back