How China deals with Covid

Sponsored Links
Imagine trying to use that tactic here. There would be riots.

It's a tough one to decipher, this. The story has of course been chosen selectively to demonstrate - domestically and internationally - that China is in control and is doing the right thing. As far as I understand it though, the reactions are much less drastic in the rural regions especially in Western China. Take from it what you will -- a huge percentage of their population end up in rural employment or industry, whereas we don't have that pull anymore. The metric isn't infections anymore anyway, it's hospitalisations (death figures are too vague and unreliable).

It wouldn't work over here, or in much of the Western Europe to be honest! Many of us have accepted this as a seasonal virus (because that's what it is) and that prioritising the core elements of everyday life (education, work, recreation, etc.) is more important. I lost relatives last year (prematurely) who had their cancer treatment paused due to the Covid response. While that wouldn't happen again, it's proven that our response can cause more harm than the virus.

I lost relatives last year (prematurely) who had their cancer treatment paused due to the Covid response. While that wouldn't happen again, it's proven that our response can cause more harm than the virus.
Condolences...

But it is happening all the time...

And will continue to do so in the future unless the vast amount of resources aren't aimed solely at the 'virus' whilst other illnesses are side lined!

Sponsored Links
Condolences...

But it is happening all the time...

And will continue to do so in the future unless the vast amount of resources aren't aimed solely at the 'virus' whilst other illnesses are side lined!

They were 58 and 71 and taken far too young. Without the lost treatment I know they would be here today, however I'm not the only one to have lost family/friends this way and I try not to let it affect my view on things!

It's still quite controversial/brave to suggest this, but it is a seasonal virus and we can't continue to adjust society around it indefinitely. We cannot defeat it.

It's really a difference in dealing with aspects of the pandemic.
Western countries prioritise dealing with the symptoms, whereas Asian countries (including Australia and NZ) prioritise dealing with the transmission of the virus.

One could easily argue that the Asian approach is the far more effective and more economical approach.

Asia

wonder how kim il wat sit deals with it in North korea :?:

They were 58 and 71 and taken far too young. Without the lost treatment I know they would be here today, however I'm not the only one to have lost family/friends this way and I try not to let it affect my view on things!

It's still quite controversial/brave to suggest this, but it is a seasonal virus and we can't continue to adjust society around it indefinitely. We cannot defeat it.
With the greatest respect, what do you suggest?
I am unclear where you stand on this, so forgive me for asking, but..... Are you saying that we should "get on with life and not take precautions" (bascially as we are doing), or are you saying we should take precautions, to keep hospital admissions down?

If its the former, how would this help with families in a similar situation that you've been in?

The really depressing bit is that people recieving Cancer treatment are probably the most at risk group for Covid-19. If we're accepting it as an ongoing seasonal disease we're going to have to accept that more cancer patients will die.

Many people want their cake and eat it. They will be upset at the restrictions and then upset at the excess loss of life and then turn around and defend the Government for wasting billions but then complain the NHS is wasting money.

You are assuming these people are logical and consistent.

Sponsored Links
Back