How could water be filtering into the ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this aluminum sheet roof with a drywall inner ceiling (very common in these parts).

The roof was originally 1 aluminum (galvanized) sheet that ends in a gutter that is flushed against the concrete wall as can be seen in the images. We then added a grill mesh sheet to trap dry leaves that would clog up the gutter.

1st: The aluminum sheets are not totally flat, they have crests and troughs.

2nd: A second sheet of aluminum was added to the roof because the first (original) one was too thin and therefore we were worried about leaks due to breaks in the sheet caused by people working on the roof.

3rd: A while back the drywall ceiling was cut open from the inside to locate the leak. Indeed I filmed that the leak was coming in from the grill mesh sheet that was trapped between the roof sheet and the gutter flashing. The repairman moved the grill mesh sheet out from there and laid it over the roof sheet and repaired the drywall.

The leak continues. It starts as soon as it starts raining even a little but so its not an issue where the gutter fills up because its clogged. Im thinking the possibilities are:

1. The gutter flashing is somehow broken and the gutter wall facing the inside of the house is letting water in. I doubt it would be a simple hole or small leak on that gutter wall since it begins to leak as soon as it rains. If anything, I would think the entire gutter wall is just missing. Even so I have my doubts.

2. Im thinking the new roof sheet is shorter or maybe one of its crests somehow lines up and dumps water onto the old sheet which then doesnt make it all the way to the gutter channel and so water leaks inside the wall...or water from the new sheet falls onto the old sheet which has a deep groove or dent which makes water retrace back to the away from the gutter and leak towards a hole in it.

Im taking the ceiling apart tomorrow but I want to know if there are any other suggestions as to how water might be leaking into the house so quickly after rain starts?

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Leaks are always a problem as they can show up some distance from the fault. Looking inside the cavity from below could be the only way to pin it down, so maybe you have sorted it by now. If not, however, a few ideas:
Can you look down on the outer sheeting from above, or from a ladder, and watch where the first small puddle occurs after a dry spell? Or look for the last area to dry out after the rain stops. Also, ceiling readings indoors from a moisture meter might help to locate problem areas before they are otherwise apparent. Or you could try applying roof and gutter sealant to different parts of the outer sheets in turn until the leak stops, then find a proper way of curing it.
Alec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back