How dangerous??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In small print on a tin of Danish Oil

"Application cloths may self ignite without warning".

So now I need to buy a fireproof box to keep the cloth in, and take a fire extinguisher just in case it bursts into flames while I'm using it.

I mean, how can that be? How are you supposed to proceed, on the basis you could turn into a fireball at any moment??

Sponsored Links
its saying you yourself may ignite them without warning :D

It's known as "Spontaneous Combustion" and normally only occurs if soaked cloths are tightly rolled or balled.

The same warning applies to linseed oil as well, and has done so for years.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
I remember. at the age of 10,my dad took us via ferry from stokholm to copenhagon.

anyway this a true story.

oil.?

so my late father, brought up on pigs trotters, cow heels, trpie and tongue, ate sardines, so he purchased a tin.

it turned out to be preserved cod livers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Spontaneous combustion. I have actually seen it (only once)

I smelt burning/singeing and wandered around looking for the source. In the painters cupboard I found some rags which had been used with white spirit and stuffed back in the cupboard. They were tightly packed so the heat of oxidation could not get away. I pulled the bundle out and it was charred and smoking.

Obviously the cupboard also contained oil paint, white spirit, knotting and other flammable materials so it could have been nasty.

I have heard of a restaurant fire which started in the laundry store where a tablecloth had been thrown after having cooking oil spilt on it.

The thing to do is not to stuff the rags into a tin but, after use, wet them well with water and either tie into a plastic bag (to keep them wet) or launder to clean the wax and oil away. Usually the rags will not be reused so wetting with water is the thing to do. They can still catch fire if/when the water dries up.

While you are using the cloth it will not catch fire because cooling air prevents heat build up. It is most dangerous if stuffed tightly together.

Sponsored Links
Back