Is there a trick to using water-based "gloss"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or, as I suspect, are they all completely crap and not fit for purpose?

I've tried three brands of water-based ("quick drying") white gloss-equivalent and I can't understand how they're allowed to be sold at all. Is there any surface they will stick to?

They cover like milk and then at least half the time the next day it's all peeling off. Where it isn't peeling, running a finger across it will produce white powder and if scrubbed with a cloth it comes off like normal emulsion. Which, I suppose, it is.

I do all the usual things to prepare surfaces, and I've also done everything wrong (no sanding, limited cleaning) with conventional gloss and it still covers in one coat and sets rock-solid. These water-based ones have had hours of careful prep and three coats and they still just disperse on application and/or fall off when dry.

Most people share my experiences but a few think it's good:
http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9252426/reviews.htm

So what's the deal, how can I make it work? I've got several litres at the moment already open and I'd hate to waste it.

Alternatively, is there some other use I could put it to? Would it work as a primer on wood or something like that?

EDIT: I should say that I used part of a tin of Crown stuff first with less trouble - it stuck to an oil-based undercoat OK and after two coats was acceptable. The Dulux is a complete joke, though.

Sponsored Links
They are not great and none give the finish and ease of application of oil based but your problems are a bit extreme. Flaking is usually down to inadequate prep work or lack of undercoat or both, i've not had any of the problems you mention really apart from it drying to quickly.

You may find it easier to use a binder coat over existing oil based, zinnser cover stain is often used. You will find it easier if you use the appropriate undercoat i.e. use johnstones aqua undercoat under their aqua gloss.
You must also use a good synthetic brush, apply quickly, lay off once and never try and touch a bit up. Broad areas are simply plain difficult, you've just got to be quick and try and do it in cool conditions.

Most dulux products are carp these days, so i doubt their gloss is any good. Johnstones are the best of a pretty average bunch. You could try satin (mid sheen) as sikkens and johnstones both do one that is a much better finish than the current glosses out there.
You can't use gloss as a primer it will sink and there's not much use for it other than trim.

Have re-read your post and it sounds like you're using an oil based u/c, bad idea, it has to be water based for better results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back