Water based gloss paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used some water based gloss paint, brilliant white. But was disappointed with the result. Can anyone recommend a good water based gloss paint?

Sponsored Links
sandwell said:
I have used some water based gloss paint, brilliant white. But was disappointed with the result. Can anyone recommend a good water based gloss paint?

Well thorny qestion with me too sandwell. Though I have used dulux aquatec gloss/ undercoat and find it does flow out almost as good as solvent. Only drawback I find is it dont dry (stays quite tacky even in heated rooms). I did follow advice of dulux rep i.e to spread it out further and not to apply too thickly but then found I needed two coats of gloss. Maybe it's been refined since it first came out?

The gloss was not very shiny in my opinion, and also the brush marks were quite prominent, although I used good quality brushes

Sponsored Links
After reading loads of advise on this forum I went for Dulux Aquatec water based gloss. Used with Purdeys synthetic brushes and was well impressed with the product. Never used it before. The drying time was excellent though all woodwork needed 2 coats and a thorough rub down between. I cant really fault it (though I'm not a pro painter), but it does take some getting used to. I found I needed to load the brush more and ensure that I didn't overspread it. I'll definetely use it again.

sandwell said:
The gloss was not very shiny in my opinion, and also the brush marks were quite prominent, although I used good quality brushes

Were they synthetic or natural bristle? You should use synthetic brushes with water based paints.

makitaman said:
After reading loads of advise on this forum I went for Dulux Aquatec water based gloss. Used with Purdeys synthetic brushes and was well impressed with the product. Never used it before. The drying time was excellent though all woodwork needed 2 coats and a thorough rub down between. I cant really fault it (though I'm not a pro painter), but it does take some getting used to. I found I needed to load the brush more and ensure that I didn't overspread it. I'll definetely use it again.

Hmm, you say drying was ok. Perhaps they finally got it right. First time I used it(1990 I think) the carpet fitters were due a/m. They were not pleased to find paint still tacky. Dulux rep suggested I brush out a bit more even though this might mean two coats of gloss :rolleyes: Have to say though, being water based it is the best I come across for laying off and good flow out i.e no brush marks. Funny you have to dip brushes in white spirit after washing in water lol. Might try it again!

But if you have to use two topcoats, is it worth doing? i am assuming you have already put on white undercoat and flatted it.

the effort and time of two topcoats needs to be balanced by quite a significant gain elsewhere, so is it worth doing?

JohnD said:
But if you have to use two topcoats, is it worth doing? i am assuming you have already put on white undercoat and flatted it.

the effort and time of two topcoats needs to be balanced by quite a significant gain elsewhere, so is it worth doing?
Exactly my sentiments.
Yeah Undercoat, then gloss then another fkn gloss. You miht imagine what I said to the rep when he tried to give me free undercoat and gloss as compensation. (This was at a demo for aquatec at brewers)

(above I should have said 1999 :oops:)

Honestly you should get the paint mixing person to colour up the undercoat same as finish coat colour.

I used water based gloss 4 - 5 years ago without any problems but I've just used it again (from the same company) and am really disappointed with it. They say the formula hasn't changed but i'm left with brush strokes in the paint, dragging where the paint my slightly overlap, pitting when using a roller and flat spots. I was advised to load more paint on my brush and this has solved the problem of brush strokes and resulted in a glossier finish, however the paint has to be applied so thickly and can not be worked too thinly that I've ended up with runs in a door. It has also been impossible for me to paint a large flat horizontal surface such as a window sill and get a good finish, it drys far too quickly and can not be 'layed off'. I'm on the point of giving up using it but I like the fact it's non-yellowing so perhaps I should try the Dulux Aquatic water based gloss first. Can anyone let me know if it goes yellow over time? Thanks

[/quote]so perhaps I should try the Dulux Aquatic water based gloss first.
Aquatec gloss/uc has been discontinued now.. it was partly solvent based and no good for vc10 rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back