1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How difficult/cost is it to turn a hallway step into a slope on a wood floor for disabled access?

Discussion in 'Building' started by J2021, 10 Mar 2021.

1. J2021

J2021

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,
    I am interested in a bungalow but as a disabled person require flat floors, however, this one has a step off the wood floored living room (5") down to the hallway for the kitchen and shower room either side.
    So my question is, would it be a major hassle/project to create a slope in the living room floor leading to where the step is/was?

If this is the wrong thread mods please move.
    Cheers

2. Sponsored Links
  3. In terms of building work it’s nothing complicated, it’ll be the size of the ramp thats more likely to be the issue.

You’ll be making a ramp so will need to comply with building regs - off the top of my head I think from BR approved document K the maximum gradient is something like 1:12 - so for your ramp with 125mm rise, it would need to be 1.5m long.
    Depending on how big your lounge is, the ramp could end up taking up a good proportion of the room?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think if you call it a threshold you can do a 1:6
    If it was a big outdoor ramp then 1:20?

I would get someone to knock up a simple ply ramp and try it. I doubt it would be easy.
    Could one option be to create a level area outside the living room in the hall, then ramp down from the "platform" to a new sloped hallway? It would depend on the layout.

• Like Like x 2
  5. J2021

J2021

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies.
    The wood floor dining room/lounge is 22' feet long, so plenty of room to go back from.
    In the picture, the step is in red. errwsr.JPG
    I did consider raising the hall but obviously then you'd have to raise the kitchen and shower room which I can't imagine is easy or cheap.
    Any further suggestions or points to be aware of greatly appreciated.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would it be possible to partly "lower" the living room entrance?
    I am thinking a ramp from the hall that starts with your red line and rises to the LR floor? I am sure I have seen that done in shop entrances or somewhere?
    You might need a rail beside the open side - I can't imagine how hard it would be to go up a ramp.
    My idea was to have a straight run from the hall but I guess you could run from the door towards the RHS to gain a couple of feet in length?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the wood floor - is it over a original wood suspended floor - or over a concrete floor ?

9. J2021

J2021

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's an original wood floor.

10. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Then it will be easy to create a ramp. Like Tigerclubrider suggests. I wondered if it meant digging up concrete under a modern wood floor.