How do drain rod wheels work (problem with drain bend)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got a problem with a blocked drain and I am having difficulties getting my rods to go round a bend. I wondered whether this might help:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OB4CT8/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

My problem is being made difficult because the bend I need to get around is like this:

and so the rods just go up to the blank rather than down the drain pipe I want to get at.

Will the wheel help? And are there any other things I can do to guide the rods in that direction?

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
MaxDread said:
I wondered whether this might help:

In a word, no - at least not as it stands. The wheel helps a rod go round a bend by rolling along the outside instead of scraping but in your case it will still take the easy route, straight into the dead end. :( :( :(

You might just get somewhere if you can fix it on the end of your rod at an angle so that the rod is forced up against the right hand side of the drain (as seen in your drawing) while the wheel presses against the left hand side. :idea: :idea: :idea:

You need the wheel to pop into the open end of the side branch when it gets there. You also need whatever lies behind it to follow without jamming in the junction. I would suggest that the ideal shape to have just behind your wheel is a curve and, to make sure the wheel takes the correct route, the total width of wheel plus unstrained rod needs to be wider than the bore of the pipe. Is it possible to put a curve into a plastic drain rod by softening it with a hot air gun. I've never done this with drain rods but it works on PVC conduit. :cool: :cool: :cool:

That`s not a bad idea about bending the rod :idea: However the Water Authorities have taken over "some" of the drains in peoples gardens - @ the beginning of this month - so give them a ring : I wouldn`t tell you this if you were in Hertfordshire , I`d be doing Hertsdrainage out of a job ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I've taken some photos which I will upload shortly.

I have borrowed the rods I'm currently using. Am planning to get some of my own ASAP, so may well try the bending technique once I have bought them and the wheel. If I can buy anything else that might help please let me know.

As for Water Authorities....... I have a septic tank and soak-away system (private) so I presume they would not have anything to do with that?

Thanks for all the help

Max

Is the branch blanked off?

As I can't see it. If so remove the blanking plug and get someone to feed your rods up the manhole and put your hand up the branch and 'push' the rod over into the drain line.

PS whats blocked?

Andy

Is the branch blanked off?

Do you mean the straight bit that comes to an end in the hole? If so - yes. But it is blanked off inside the pipe with a blanking plate set at an angle, like this:

As I can't see it. If so remove the blanking plug and get someone to feed your rods up the manhole and put your hand up the branch and 'push' the rod over into the drain line.

Great idea - I think....! How would I remove the blank though? And how can I ensure I would be able to get it back on again (and get it back on with a water tight seal?)

PS whats blocked?

As to the question of what is blocked. Seems a bit complicated to me but here's where my understanding is through experimenting, asking the neighbours and getting some advice from my brother-in-laws dad (who works with septic tanks for a living)......

A crude drawing and most definitely not to scale. But should give an idea....

The bathroom and WC both drain to the septic tank and soakaway in the front garden. ***Apparently***, the kitchen sink and washing machine used to go there too, hence the pipe going back up to the main house from the inspection cover. The neighbour reckons that the woman who used to live here was worried about overloading the tank (and possibly other things to do with the tank too). A ditch was therefore created at the bottom of the garden to act as a soakaway, and the kitchen sink/washing machine now drain there - or at least are supposed to.... Who knows!!! And I'm guessing they are supposed to go there via the bend in the pipe which I was originally posting about. And that there is a block in there somewhere.... The neighbour says that the ditch used to sometimes fill a bit, but we've never experienced that in a year and a half of being here (we are low water users though and there are just two of us). BTW - it's more of a slope with a bit of gravel than an actual ditch....

So....

If I run my kitchen tap for a fair while, the water starts to get higher and higher in the inspection hole. After quite a while the water works its way though to the septic tank in the front garden. Hence the confusion! I am only assuming at the moment, but I think that when/if it was changed, they did not block the original route to the septic tank and the water can still therefore reach that area.

Thanks a million for the help.

Max.

that connection should be replaced with a series of bends or another manhole it has been put in wrong

dont waste your money on rods and accesories, not all drainage companies are like the ones on rouge traders it shouldnt take that long for a pro and there fore shouldnt be that expensive

Can you find the open end of the pipe in the ditch because that's the most likely place for a blockage. :idea: :idea: :idea: Even if the blockage isn't immediately obvious, you'll be able to rod from there back towards the open chamber. If you have to do this, block the other three pipes at the chamber first. You don't want a load of crud going straight through into another pipe. :oops: :oops: :oops:

You could phone around and find a fixed price to have it jetted out.

I would charge you £90.

At least that way you won't get caught out with 1/2hourly fees, like some compaines do.

Andy

Hi peeps. I've been reading this post with interest as I too have a drain with a bend in it where the blockage is it. Now I've looked into downstream rodding back the way but that's not an option due to the pipe being buried WAY down and I have cleaned out the bottom blank. It's definitely blocked a metre or two downstream of the side pipe likely with mulch, fat, hair and the usual. It's too far for my jet washer and my rods wont go round the corner themselves.

As such, i've invested in a drain rod guide wheel. But for the life of me I cannot work out how it is used to help guide the drain rod and the associated screw head round the corner.

I would love it if someone could explain how the pieces come together.

Thanks

Martin

You can only have one attachment on the end of the rods! Either the wheel or the corkscrew, not both! If rods wont go round the bend then you may have to bite the bullet and get someone in to jet it. Phone round for a fixed price though before choosing a contractor, otherwise could get expensive. (Unless the Water Co are responsible for the drain in which case should be free!) :LOL:

You can only have one attachment on the end of the rods! Either the wheel or the corkscrew, not both! If rods wont go round the bend then you may have to bite the bullet and get someone in to jet it. Phone round for a fixed price though before choosing a contractor, otherwise could get expensive. (Unless the Water Co are responsible for the drain in which case should be free!) :LOL:

Thanks Hugh - was not sure if you used the wheel on one long rod and used it to guide another set of rods. However, It's become clear the wheel acts on its own as a prod and a corner taker. Thank you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back