Drainage Rods - pipe blockage underground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I had decking built a couple of months ago, and since then have had drainage problems. Have only recently discovered that there is a load of sewage has been spilling up under the decking and is completely covered under the decking area.

I purchased a set of drainage rods to clear it, and the pipe runs down about a metre before taking a bend and then running down across my garden to link up to the main sewage pipe linkiing to my neighbours.

My question is that i can't get the drainage rods to bend round the pipe as they are fairly tough blue plastic. I've tried bending the initial rod to see if that would help but still can get it round this bend 1m down!! Would probably have been better if the rods were made of a strong rubber and there was a lot more 'give' in them. Am i wasting my time trying to get the rods any further, or do i just need to use a bit more muscle?!
Have also tried the plunger, but do not have a wheel to put at the end of the rod which possibly could help.

Would really appreciate your advice on this.

thanks

Sponsored Links
don't try getting it round the corner if it won't go.
is the drain your rodding from full or empty ?
if it's full and your rodding and the water is just rising and falling all the time the block is probabley further down and your just pushing it up the other drain.
remove the other drain lid and check it maybe between his drain and main sewer so rodding yours will have no effect.

if we get a situation like that and no access to other drain we result to the jetter.

thanks Seco for the reply,

the drain was initially full to the top, i managed to clear it down using the plunger, to where it bends (apprx 1m down) but there is still water at the bottom suggesting that it is no clearing any further down to the sewage link. I had the water board in to check and they would only check the main sewage link between my house and my neighbours. They said that there was no water coming down to the junction from my house, whilst i had a tap constantly running.

I think the pipe should be completely clear as there is bit of a slope between my property and the sewage link. I need to get manhole keys and get access into my neighbours property to check if water is draining into the network.

So i'm wasting my time trying to get tit to go any further?

Sponsored Links
no, my pipe just taps into the sewer link. The link runs along the bottom of the garden parallel to my house. the guy said that it was flowing no problem, and he could see the link joining from my property. It then continues further down to where my neighbours will have a link joining onto it. It definately not a case of anyone else waste blocking up my link.

sorry, should make it clear, when i say 'it was flowing no problem' i'm talking about the sewer in general, not my link to it.

so if your link doesn't come off his etc no need to get his drain up.
check if his is running ok, if so it's between your drain and where hes joins and if you can't get a rod round bend may result to a jetter.

thanks seco. I'll get the manhole keys and see if i can use the rods from the other side (main sewage) Might have better luck getting rods in there.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back