very blocked 180mm steel surface drain

Right.. after almost a year we now have a free ish flowing drain.

I installed a manhole, and 2 rodding points and have had dyno-rod in to jet the whole lot out and its now flowing.

What I want to do now is stop it getting blocked up again.
The main culprit is silt im guessing from leaves and the like. but there was also some gravel and a teaspoon in there!

id like to construct some kind of sieve at the upstream end where the pipe enters our property. i think it would be a silt trap.

is there a commercial product that will do the job? or should i dig a simple hole, concrete and brick sides? then perhaps a mesh guard over the outlet pipe?

the only other complication being that the pipe is quite close to the house. so would having a hole be problematic for the foundations?

its under half a meter away.. maybe more like 250mm.

refer to the diagram in the OP. im talking about the bottom left of the image where the pipe goes under the fence.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Depending on room, i'd dig a hole, concrete base, and then a 3 sided headwall. If there is scope to fit a couple of vertical 'runners' either side to allow a grille to slot in it may be easier to remove it for cleaning. Or, alternatively, precast units are available if preferred, such as: http://www.althon.co.uk/products/headwalls/?gclid=CLLsvrSi3rQCFW3MtAodtykAGw

If the grille can be fitted slightly forward of the pipe, then should detritus level build up against the grid then the water can escape over the top, trying to clean out a submerged grille can be awkward.

Depending on room, i'd dig a hole, concrete base, and then a 3 sided headwall. If there is scope to fit a couple of vertical 'runners' either side to allow a grille to slot in it may be easier to remove it for cleaning. Or, alternatively, precast units are available if preferred, such as: http://www.althon.co.uk/products/headwalls/?gclid=CLLsvrSi3rQCFW3MtAodtykAGw

If the grille can be fitted slightly forward of the pipe, then should detritus level build up against the grid then the water can escape over the top, trying to clean out a submerged grille can be awkward.

That's sort of what I thought.

I think the precast would be a bit big for what I need.

Just didn't want to construct or attempt to invent something if there was a pre-defined way of doing things.

Sponsored Links
Go down to 3/4 of the page and see catch pits.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain03.htm

Andy

Ahh yes..im familiar with the paving expert. Very useful.

The main issue I have is that I'll be chopping into an existing pipe so the levels will be the same. I.e. I won't have the inlet above the outlet.

I could add a 90 degree bend onto the outlet. Bent down into the water. That should lower the outlet and allow things to flow.

The other issue is the foundations. Will I be too close the house? The foundation is visible once I uncover the pipe.

Cheers.

I'd hazard a guess the majority of grilles, headwalls, and other 'structures' on a lot of ditches and streams, especially those running through agricultural areas have 'home made' affairs fitted to them! If you feel capable of knocking up something that'll do the job then carry on!

If you are working on a ditch or watercourse that is serving as a public sewer or highways drain then the spec does tend to be higher, but for a situation on private property, provided it doesnt impede the flow or risk causing a flood then there's no need for anything too extravagant.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll work on it this weekend. Will let you know what happens!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back