How do I achieve this finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've made an open cupboard with internal shelves for shoe storage and have a question with regards to the finish of the shelves themselves.

I used Whitewood PSE timber (spruce) for the shelves. Here they are bare:

I've since applied a Sikkens Cetol TSI Satin Plus wood stain I had kicking around but only afterwards realised that it's clear so has made little difference to the colour of the timber.

I'd like to darken it up a bit to reach the sort of colour in these shelves here...

What should I be applying? Woodstain? Varnish? Which brand/colour?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Ronseal wood varnish/stain.
It's all in one, cheap enough and they have a variety of shades from clear to dark walnut.
It's the diamond hard line.
Used it for many projects and passed the test of time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Any idea on the colour of that Ronseal to go from spruce to the colour in the 2nd photo?

So I've experimented with shades up to French Oak and none have darkened the wood significantly. Even 3 coats of French Oak and the spruce now looks like pine.

I presume that by painting I'll lose the the grain in the wood so do I just need to go for something like Mahoganny?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back