How do i attach wood to single skin plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a (probably) silly problem. I am trying to build a wardrobe inside an old airing cubboard but am struggling to think how I can affix the shelf rails. The cupboard is build out from the corner of the room.

The problem is that the walls of the cupbard are single thickness plasterboard which means i cant drill or use butterfly fittings as the fittings will be visible on the other side of the wall and i think no more nails would not be strong enough to hold the shelf supports

I am tempted to line the interior of the cupboard with plywood no more nailed to the plasterboard and then use short screws to attach the fittings to.

Any ideas

Sponsored Links
you could fix vertical battens that go all the way down to the floor to take the weight, as legs, then crossways pieces betweem them to stand the racks on. it only needs to be fixed to the walls enough to stop the frame flopping about.

presumably you have a back wall that you can also attach battens to help keep the scaffold frame in place

Sponsored Links
@JohnD

Doh...why didnt i think of that.. i just need to attach horizontally to the bottom and ceiling and build a frame around that.

Kind of obvious really..

Thanks

are there studs then

No.. what it is is cupbard that goes over the stairs.

The bottom third of the cupboard has support and has been shelved off to support the weight of the old tank.. The latter 2 thirds just seems to be a large piece of plasterboard attached to a stud at the ceiling.

Hope that makes sense!

[/quote]

So just put in some timbers across the bottom and the then some vertical studs from there to your head plate (timber).
If needs be you could but some noggins in at chosen points and board over it, given you nice flat surface inside cupboard. Then if you wisely planned where your selves are going to be and wisely fitted stud/noggins in said places. So can then use to securely fix to., jobs a good'un.

Hi

I have a related question(s) ....

Should i build the internal skin with plasterboard or use plywood or even MDF. Will i need to insulate/vent as the current cupboard has an odour and looks abit damp in corners; the back of the cupboard is direct onto brick.

I am tempted to use MDF as i believe (correct me if i am wrong) that it will look nicer as the interior of a cupboard. My plan was to install adjustable bookshelf rails but am not sure they will be stong enough. The span is approx 34". If i do use bookshelf rails should i invest in a router to recess the rails?

Thanks for all help thus far

if you think you have a damp problem, ply not MDF. With luck it will just be condensation from the damp clothes and cold wall, so you could add a layer of insulation. There ought to be a vapour barrier on the warm side.

for an airing cupboard, I would have gone for shelves or racks supported by the horizontal battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back