Fixing a rail to the wall - drywall/plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to make use of a cupboard that I have recently damp sealed.

I had to pull a makeshift shelf from the wall which caused a fair bit of damage - it was glued and nailed to a very weak wall.

What kind of wall is this (see pictures) and what fittings would be best to secure a 180cm rail to it? I'm hoping to use as a wardrobe space, so wanting to hang clothes.

Note - initially tried to secure an old wardrobe rail to the artex ceiling in the space but it won't hold anything.

Thanks.

PXL_20210927_114728578.jpg
PXL_20210927_114721135.jpg

Sponsored Links
Agreed. In order to get any sort of fix into a boarded stud wall or ceiling you need to find the studs (in walls) or the joists or rafters (in ceilings) to fix into. Do a search on the forum for how to find studs or joists - the topic has been discussed many, many, many times over the years. A point to note is that vertical studs are often spaced on 400mm centres (16in or 406.5mm in older houses) and ceiling rafters are often at 600mm (2ft or 610mm on older houses), but they may not be!

Sponsored Links
Yes. Looks like it could be a plasterboard stud wall. Depending on age the studs might be timber or metal

Yes. Looks like it could be a plasterboard stud wall. Depending on age the studs might be timber or metal

Pretty sure it is a 1980s construction. Going to see if I can seek out the stud with a wire.

Cut out and square off damaged area , (for repair)should be able to see studs then.You can then fix a timber to studs to fix rail or use multiple plasterboard fixing to fix timber to spread the load .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back