How do I connect coaxial cable to a roof ariel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My TV ariel has been blown over/down on my roof and I want to move it into the loft as it won't have to succumb to the high winds where I live (on the coast).

1)How easy is it to disconnect the coaxial from the ariel on the roof itself?
2) Is reconnecting the cable just the opposite of the above?
3) Should the ariel be bracketed to the wall inside the loft?
4) Should my signal be just as good if I put the ariel in the loft (about 3 feet lower) ?

Anyone have any diagrams of the connection between coaxial and ariel?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
1) Assuming you're going on the roof to get the old one down, then it is just screw terminals inside a snap-shut box normally

2) Yes

3) Can do. I've got a pole with a square stand at one end which is screwed down to a joist, and then aerial is attached to that in the same way as it would be to a pole on the roof.

4) Signal won't be as good. Signal strength in your area will determine if its good enough

i fitted an aerial in the loft - I attached it "upside down" style to the rafters near the apex of the roof. This way, its higher and you ought to get a better signal. The wall between us and the neighbours is quite iffy, i didn't fancy drilling into it, so fixing to woodwork was more appealing :eek:

Many houses on my street have 10-12 foot masts because of the poor reception, but mine is only an FM aerial, i was just being greedy with DAB stations ;)

If you're hanging off a ladder to get the old one off, don't mess about with screwdrivers. Cut the co-ax with a pair of cutters and chuck the aerial down, you can fiddle about in the safety of your kitchen. Fit the new cable before you fix the aerial in position.

You can buy a new bigger aerial very cheaply.

Sponsored Links
claudeballs said:
My TV ariel has been blown over/down on my roof and I want to move it into the loft as it won't have to succumb to the high winds where I live (on the coast).
Err---- properly fitted, the only way a TV aerial will succumb to high winds is when they get high enough to rip off the roof or chimney stack to which it's attached....

claudeballs said:

1)How easy is it to disconnect the coaxial from the ariel on the roof itself?
2) Is reconnecting the cable just the opposite of the above?
3) Should the ariel be bracketed to the wall inside the loft?
4) Should my signal be just as good if I put the ariel in the loft (about 3 feet lower) ?

Anyone have any diagrams of the connection between coaxial and ariel?

:confused:

1 - easy. the housing will pop open and you'll have 2 terminals. one will have the sigal in it...the other will have the braid. unscrew them and bobs ur uncle.

2 - reconnecting is easy as well. if itsa new antenna like i said above...two terminals....signal to one and braid to other. unless u have solder joints. in which case if u dont do soldering then buy a new antenna. u can get a decent one for £15-20.

3 - bracket the antenna where ever is convenient. a wall, a joist etc...the higher the better.

4 - depending where you live depends on the sigal strength. you say u live on the coast...so long as there's no major hills in the line of site to your local TV mast then you should be fine. if not, you can always buy a booster to go inline with ur coax - these run off mains - so keep that in mind. those can be picked up for around £20

also recommend that the coax be replaced as well, especially if its been outdoors - some stuff is subject to lack of weather proofing. you can get some good 50 or 75 ohm coax for in the region of 60 to 80pence per meter.

hope that helps with ur problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back