How do I correctly prep a concrete wall for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of removing old tiles from the wall.

I need to prep this wall for new tiling. How would you recommend I do it?

I need to re-fill the concrete where it has fallen - which concrete mixture would you recommend?

I also need to water seal the wall before tiling. Which water sealing method/materials would you recommend?

Will I need to add backer board before tiling?

Many thanks in advance.

Pedro

Sponsored Links
Did the previous tile fail because of water penetration thro the RH background wall?

There's no "concrete" present - you appear to have tile adhesive and some kind of grey plaster, or very thin S&C render, applied to blockwork.

What is the purpose of the wood laths?

Is this above a shower base? The (new?) base & enclosure must also be taken into consideration.

Are you skilled enough to render those walls in a sand & cement mix? It might be simple to fill and dub out any patches/holes, and apply powder adhesive if the surface in the pic is firm.

Whatever, your final tile surface must first be established before proceeding, to ensure that the shower valve is set correctly - & the base & enclosure positions are correct, any heavy render or backer board will pull the walls out by 12mm - 15mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back