Prepping bathroom walls for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to rip out my bathroom for a new install. I dont know the state of the walls prior to removing as theres tile on tile.

Preferably i would like to remove everything back to brickwork and start from scratch.

Im looking for best way to prep walls and floor for tiling on both.

Walls- am i ok in thinking dot an dab MR plasterboard to the brick work and studs (1 wall) if i use MR board will i have to prep it before tiling or go straight onto it?
And in the shower area can i tank directly onto the MR plasterboard?

And for the floor use 22mm water risistant t&g 8x2 with flexi tile adhesive and grout?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated tia.

Sponsored Links
Take it back to brick, that will offset the loss of space from dotting and dabbing. It might be much but if you're fitting in a bath or shower next to a door, a few mill can make the difference.

Thats what i intend to do. To maximise the width as its 1700mm and i need to fit a bath in one end.

Would i be ok tiling directly onto MR Plasterboard with rapid set adhesive? BAL or Mapei? Or do i need to prime?or would there be a better option for preping other than dot and dab plasterboard

Cement board or hardibacker seen plenty of plasterboard failures however they were prepped .

Sponsored Links
Have a think about insulation (if any of the walls are outside walls). You can tile direct to brick or block. If you are boarding out you'd ideally use cement or marmox or something not plasterboard for the 'wet' walls (shower end and side of the bath)

Line the walls with cement boards.
Spend some time levelling the boards perfectly and tiling will be a breeze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back