Preparation for Tiling in a Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am getting ready to part-tile the bathroom and would appreciate some advice on preparing various areas. At the top of the bath I have created a small stud wall to hide the shower pipes. The face of the wall is Aquaboard so I know I am good to tile on this.

The side of the stud wall is bare timber (3 x 2). Can I tile straight onto bare timber? If not, how do I prepare the timber for tiling?

The side wall (length of bath) was recently plastered. I have a big pot of tanking powder compound. Should I mix this up and apply to the wall prior to tiling?

The Floor. I have tiles for the floor. The floor has recently been laid and it is ChipBoard but it has been painted. The floor is level. Can this floor be tiled? Do I need to do anything to prepare the chipboard?

Many thanks
Georgie

Sponsored Links
No, don't even bother going onto the timber/chipboard. I would personally:

1. Hardiebacker over the timber as per the MIs (300mm centre, countersunk but I might be wrong on that)
  2. Hardiebacker over the chipboard. The paint and nature of chipboard anyway would cause a failure quicker than anything.
  3. Tape the joints. Do NOT use plasterboard scrim tape as this dissolves in tile adhesive and will cause water to seep between the boards in case of moisture ingress.
  4. Tank the timber wall and plaster wall (not sure if you might need to prime the plaster first for tanking) but you need to give it about 3 weeks to set for tile adhesive and would assume the same for tanking. (This is a bit "belt and braces" for the HB wall but essential for the plaster)
  5. Tile using powdered adhesive and not ready mix.

No, don't even bother going onto the timber/chipboard. I would personally:

1. Hardiebacker over the timber as per the MIs (300mm centre, countersunk but I might be wrong on that)
  2. Hardiebacker over the chipboard. The paint and nature of chipboard anyway would cause a failure quicker than anything.
  3. Tape the joints. Do NOT use plasterboard scrim tape as this dissolves in tile adhesive and will cause water to seep between the boards in case of moisture ingress.
  4. Tank the timber wall and plaster wall (not sure if you might need to prime the plaster first for tanking) but you need to give it about 3 weeks to set for tile adhesive and would assume the same for tanking. (This is a bit "belt and braces" for the HB wall but essential for the plaster)
  5. Tile using powdered adhesive and not ready mix.

Thank you - appreciate your response. The back wall is aqua board - I think this is the same as hardiebacker.

I will put hardiebacker on the floor and tape the joins. Which tape should I use?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If in doubt, just use Fibatape (the HB stuff) or a wet room tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back