How do I cover a steel with plaster board and wire mesh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the middle of an extension and I need to cover a steel beam with plasterboard then wire mesh then another layer of plasterboard.

Can anyone tell me what sort of mesh I should use? I've been told anything from chicken wire to all sorts and it's confusing. What's best?

Thanks, Danni

Sponsored Links
You should have posted this in the building section.

On the beams I have covered in my extension, I pre-drilled the steel, then screwed some 18mm ply onto the steel. I then nail/screw the plasterboard to this.
The advantage is that if you ever want to screw/nail something to it, there's ply behind the plasterboard, not steel.

That's a really good idea I hadn't thought of, thanks.

Trouble is the architect drawings state I need a layer of wire mesh but doesn't state specifics. It's supposed to help with fire ie. time delay.

Any ideas? :confused:

ps. I'm still new at this - I'll try posting on the Building area of the site next time, that is if there is a next time :)

Sponsored Links
18mm ply will be better than 12.5mm plasterboard for protection against fire.
You will be fine with plasterboard on ply.
It's not really an "architectural" matter, it's a case of complying with the regs. You can check just by phoning your building inspector.

Two possible methods

The important bit is getting a proper fixing or adhesion to the plasterboard on the soffit. You don't want this falling off in the heat and exposing the beam

Mesh, thin straps (builders band) or fixing to timber will prevent this

Thanks for the input everyone, you've been really helpful.

Danni

Wahey Woody, know we know why you've been quiet: you've been playing with SU :).

Very good - except the web should be thinner than the flanges ;) - and can you do some holes through a pipe...!

Can't take credit for the beam - I downloaded it from the 3d warehouse - I'm lazy like that. LOL

I'm working on the pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back