How do I fill in a pit in my garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6ft deep pit in my garage which has a cement floor and breeze block sides. Over time it fills with water. I want to fill this pit in (with the soil left over from digging a pond) would I need to smash/crack the floor so the water would drain away? or drill holes in the floor or something before filling it with soil... or should I just leave well alone? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Seriously if you can find a way to cover it with strong planks..it will be a selling point for the house...people actually pay to have them dug..Only if they are car nuts...But ?..........otherwise just fill it as it is :LOL:

It does have planks over it already - but I have tons of earth from the pond that I don't know what to do with so figured that filling the pit would be the cheapest/easiest thing... just worried about the water that seeps into the pit - what will it do with all the earth in there too- flood my garage??! why do I start these things?

The top of the water will remain at the level of your local water table. Filling it will not raise the water level. So basically, if you fill it, the water that has seeped in, will just seep back out again.

Sponsored Links
Dutcharella said:
but I have tons of earth from the pond that I don't know what to do with

Use it to make a raised planting area around the pond or a rockery.

Alternatively, cut holes in your pockets and tie with string. You can then take pockets of earth out with you and deposit them about the neighbourhood without anyone noticing. Make sure you shuffle you feet around to spread it thinly mind ;)

or just stop being tight and hire a mini skip like most people do.

thats a good idea, i saw the goons measuring the depth of the pit today, theyd spot it a miles away if we put the soil there/

Pit story for you

About 20 years ago firebrigade come and put a garage fire out not far from where i used to live.

The owner couldnt be found and they could smell the usual not nice smell.

Pushed the remains of the car out of the garage to discover the owner fried to a crisp with his belly popped like a sausage.

They think he was messing with the petrol tank and a spark or an old nub end was still a light---I suppose you know why they use hydraulic ramps now

put the soil back in the pond, , line the pit fill it with water, instant covered pond much better idea ;)

seriously, as has been said, why not use the soil to make a bank for a waterfall, and dont forget, soil taken from a whole never fits the hole it came from, give your new "hill" time to settle before proceeding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back