How do I get the handles off this door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below are inside and outside pictures of my door.
Please could someone tell me how to get the external handle off the door.
I need to do this because the replacement anti-snap cylinder that I have bought will not go past the handle due to it having hardened grip defenders as seen in the second picture. All the "how to fit the Anti-Snap Euro Profile cylinder" videos are with an external handle that has visible screws.

There are no visible screws on my door handle (internal or external).

I have tried to remove the black plastic pieces at the top and bottom of the internal and external handle with the cylinder removed but can only get them up/down by about 1cm. Moving the black plastic pieces leads me to be able to move the outside handle up and down by about 1cm.

It must be possible to remove my door handle - I just don't know how to do it !

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
There may be a small grub screw on the inside edge of the handles that grip the spindle, Make sure these are slackened first.

The black plastic wedges top and bottom are all that holds the handles on.

The handles are clipped very firmly onto them. Use the thinnest chisel you have and tap it in under the handle from the side about an inch away from the top/bottom. You can use a thin bit of cardboard against the door to prevent scratching the frame. Then gently but firmly pop it off.

It will feel like your going to break something but they do pop off

Thank you.
It took me less than 5 minutes to get the handle off and replace the cylinder but close to an hour to snap the handle back on !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back