How do I get to the comms menu of a HP Laserjet II?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dummy that I am, I did a cold reset on my laserjet II and it has defaulted to serial comms.
Its been years since I worked on these wonderful old work horses and my memory has failed me. Any one out there who can remember?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Igorian, but that was my first port of call. Oh for a manufacturer that gives the info needed. All they give is how to add additional memory or fonts. Even the trouble shooting does not list how to's.
All I want is the sequence to enter the Comms setup.
Cold reset is hold 'On Line' whilst powereing up.
The menu button only gives access to number of copies, manual feed etc.
There must be an 'old' engineer out there who remembers the sequence

Hope the following helps:-

Control Panel Layout
To access the function listed on the TOP of a control panel key, momentarily press and then release the key. To access the function listed on the BOTTOM of a key, HOLD DOWN the key for 5 to 7 seconds.

ON LINE
Press On Line to place the printer on line and off line. The printer is on line and ready to receive data when the on line indicator is lit. To use any of the other keys on the control panel, the printer must be off line.

CONTINUE
Reset
Press Continue to clear an error message and return the printer to on line status.
Hold down Reset until 07 RESET appears to reset the printer and return all Printing Menu settings to their user-defined defaults. Resetting the printer deletes temporary soft fonts, macros, and the print buffer.

PRINT FONTS
Test
Press Print Fonts to print one or more pages of sample text showing all of the currently available fonts.
Hold down Test until 05 SELF TEST appears to print a PCL Self Test. See Printing a PCL Self Test.

FORM FEED
Press Form Feed to print any data remaining in the print buffer (indicated by an illuminated form feed light).

ENTER
Reset Menu
Press Enter to save the currently displayed choice while in the Printing Menu or Configuration Menu.
Hold down Reset Menu until 09 MENU RESET appears to return all Printing Menu settings to their factory default settings.

MENU
Press Menu to access the Printing Menu. Hold down Menu until SYM SET= appears to access the Configuration Menu.
Press + to scroll or step forward through menu item choices.
Press - to scroll or step backwards through menu item choices.

Control Panel Menus
Use the following information to change HP LaserJet series II printer menu settings.

Press ON LINE to take the printer off line.

Press MENU repeatedly until the menu item to be changed appears. To access the Configuration Menu, hold down MENU until SYM SET= appears.

Press + or - to select the desired setting.

Press ENTER to save selections. An "*" (asterisk) will appear to the right of the setting.

To make another selection, return to step 2; to exit the menu, press ON LINE.

NOTE: The printer must be reset to activate the new settings.

Press ON LINE to take the printer off line.

Hold down RESET until 07 RESET appears, then release the RESET key. The printer will go on line with the new settings activated.

Printing Menu Items
COPIES =
1* to 99

Default number of copies.

FONT SRC =
I*, L, R, or S

PCL Default font source: Internal, Left or Right cartridge, or Soft.

FONT NUMB =
0* to 99

PCL default font number.

FORM =
PCL default number of lines printed on a full page.

MAN FEED =
OFF* or ON

Configuration Menu Items
SYM SET =
ROMAN-8*

Default symbol set.

AUTO CONT =
OFF* or ON
Auto continue mode specifies whether printing stops or continues when clearable errors occur.

I/O =
PARALLEL*, SERIAL, OR OPTIONAL

BAUD RATE =
300...9600*...19200

Data transfer rate for serial communication.

ROBUST XON =
OFF or ON*
XON signal frequency for serial communication: OFF for once, ON for once every second.

DTR POLARITY =
HI* or LO
Data terminal ready signal polarity for serial communication.

*Factory default setting.

**Menu items are HP PCL or PostScript (R) language specific.

MikeD

Sponsored Links
You little beauty Mike, it all comes back to me now.
I owe you one.
Thanks

Pleased that it helped - at 62yrs, over 40 involving PCs from when storage was a five and a quarter inch, 360k floppy, I donn't mind being classed as "old"!!

Although I am not as old as you, I can go one better, I used to work on 7 inch floppies!!
P.S. 55 this year

Qedelec said:
I used to work on 7 inch floppies!!
Er, do you mean 8" floppies? Like the ones I have in a corner of my office, together with a working 8" drive (although I have to get permission from Swalec to use it)? :eek:

"Oh - ye gods and little fishes" - I had forgotten about those, back in the times when our entire Medical Physics Department ran on a 10MByte hard disk!! Amnsia or Altzheimers - time for a Dram!
MikeD

Sponsored Links
Back