How do I know if my lead is good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a silly question, sorry!

I have a bay window on a 1928 house. The stone work is reinforced concrete and is worn away on the top so much you can now see the stones of its make up. I am having the stonework repointed and skimmed to waterproof it.

The lead part of the roof hidden from ground level by the stone work looks to me to be ok, it is still flexible and there are no ovbious signs of damage, cracks etc. The house is 80 years old if the lead was original would it need replacing. Should I replace it as a matter of course while getting the stone work done or is there plenty life left in it.

Its a north faceing window that only gets minimal sun in the morning when we have sun!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bit of a silly question, sorry!

I have a bay window on a 1928 house. The stone work is reinforced concrete and is worn away on the top so much you can now see the stones of its make up. I am having the stonework repointed and skimmed to waterproof it.

The lead part of the roof hidden from ground level by the stone work looks to me to be ok, it is still flexible and there are no ovbious signs of damage, cracks etc. The house is 80 years old if the lead was original would it need replacing. Should I replace it as a matter of course while getting the stone work done or is there plenty life left in it.

Its a north faceing window that only gets minimal sun in the morning when we have sun!

Thanks
If it's not broke- dont fix it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back