Lead replacement for bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a up/down bay window, the top is flat and the lead is good, the bottom window is stepped out from the top window and has a sloped facia from the top to the bottom bay around all three sides. The pitch of this is somewhere in the region of 50/60degrees and is fully lead covered.

However the lead is really worn (its been there a 100 years no surprise then) and in need of replacement. I am able to do this myself but don't want to use lead, is there a product that can be overlaid onto the lead or strip the lead away and laid over the timber base with an adhesive? I can resort to a hot torch if necessary but would prefer a cold attachment/adhesive method.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps try Flashband of an appropriate size, but make sure you groove it into the bed, and give good overlap.
A little heat/hot air will melt the backing for good adhesion.

Flashband has a surprising longevity for such a cheap looking product.

Sorry should have said. I want a lead lookalike ala flashband, the bay width is around 2/3 feet in depth. The flashband I have seen is only available in widths up to 300 mm, I don't want to overlap the stuff so ideally need a roll that is 800 to 100 mm wide. The narrow stuff has been on my conservatory roof for 14 years and is still stuck nicely, if anyone can give me a name for the wider roll or where it can be bought that would be great.

Sponsored Links
So, you dont have lead roll, you do have sheet lead.

If indeed, you do have sheet lead the you must have wood lead rolls.

If wood lead rolls are in-place then you might come unstuck with trying to form lead look-a-like material over the roll profiles?

Perhaps i visualise your bay incorrectly?

Apologies for tardiness.

The bay is 3 sides of an octagon shape. It slopes downward at the angle of 50 degrees or so on all 3 sides, making the lower bay larger than the upper. The angles where the 'front' meets each 'side' section has a timber batten running down it, with the lead forming a ridge over the batten. Other than that the lead is just a flat sheet all the way around, stepped into the brickwork of the wall on each side section.

You can get grey ubiflex at the width you require and just stick it to your old lead with there own brand of mastic.

I've used a material called Decathane in the past, looks like lead, but is an aliphatic polyurethane compound which is painted on, good stuff...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back