£3,000 to repair pinhole leaks in lead flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s semi-detached with a 5-section bay window at the front. At the top front bedroom we noticed a damp patch in the ceiling of the bay window. Ah, water leak.

Had a guy in to inspect it, which we paid £300 for. Went up on a ladder, had a look at it inside and also poked around in our attic.

Sent us some photos of some tiny cracks in the lead, and a photo of a look under the lead flashing.

Photo 1 - general view
Photo 2 - tiny crack
Photo 3 - another tiny crack
Photo 4 - view under the flashing

To repair it they've quoted us another £2800, taking the total bill to over £3,000, which seems rather steep for a couple of small holes and replacing a couple of non-load bearing bits of wood.

List of their works is below. What do you think?

To lift up courses of tiles - exposing the lead and the underlay.
To remove the old cracked lead from the area.
To remove the old rotten timber from the area.
To supply and install new OSB boards to the area.
To supply and install new, treated battens for the fascia.
To supply and install new F300 flat flashing where the bay meets the pitched roof.
To supply and install new fascia trim (drip edges).
To sand it and clean the surface.
To reinforce every joiner with CSM - chopped strand mat - reinforcement between coats.
To embed CSM into the first coat and let it cure.
To sand it and clean it with acetone.
To apply the second coat and let it cure.
To sand it and clean it with acetone.
To apply the top coat (UV sunshine resistant).
To re-lay the original tiles back in place.

Sponsored Links
fibreglass roof not an option?

Keep the lead and weigh in yourself

Sponsored Links
As above .
You could comfortably replace all the lead on that bay and have change even with s scaffold ..
There's no point in patching those holes it's probably acid etching which means the lead is now really thin in places. Patch it and you'll patch it again in a year or two.
Concerning , is what shows under the lead. Needs a closer look and treatment i suspect .
Get someone else to look Their quote is to replace in grp i believe so it's to replace the lead. I looks like a neighbour has a felt roof.

Ah, the premium one pays for living in the bright lights of the biggest city, eh?

I suppose, on the bright side, they turned up and had a look and even gave a quote.. It's a struggle to even get 'em to do that in my recent experience..

Also London is very close to Kent - home of the itinerant roofers.

If there's only pinhole leaks in the lead flashing you might consider using Evercryl to plug them up, and clear away the moss, too.
Otherwise it's a lot of money to fix a small problem.

OP,
Add a few qualifications: eg moss, what about the bay ceiling, insulation, & pics/vid of work in progress,
& then accept it immediately - its a great deal.

A scaff is needed.
A min. of two workers needed.
You have dry rot. All affected wood will need replacing.
As above, fibreglass & new fascia will be installed - although the quote is a bit confusing on these points?

Whoever the roofers, they did turn up, inspect and give a listed, if a bit confusing, quote.
Discuss the quote, & the dry rot, & its possible spread into the main roof ie variations to the quote.
The contractor typically "owns" all scrap with the removal of trash.

The lead could have been repaired with a couple of soakers and/or maybe a few lead burned patches
but the roof would still have to be stripped.

As above, temporary repairs would probably be useless in a year or so.

Self-employed & firms dont work for wages - they work for profit.

Thus speaks the Dry Rot King of Diynot - good old "tell80" :rolleyes: Ask him about tarmac inside houses

A Trowel - more likely A Troll,

Show why a couple of soakers turned over the bottom batten and bossed in over the rips wouldn't cover them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back