How do I open a Potterton Suprima's cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler is constantly tripping out when trying to auto-restart, but works every time when manually reset. Reading on here it seems to be a common problem, possibly the PCB needs some joints resoldered, which I'm happy to at least have a look at.

However, there's no obvious way to open the cover - how do I do it? I tried pushing and pulling a little bit but the whole boiler moves around and I don't want to break a gas pipe, cause a leak and decimate the entire street.

thanks
James

Sponsored Links
if you cannot work out how the case opens you will probably ruin the board.
you REALLY need the upgrade kit .

bite the bullet and get a new pcb and A CORGI REGISTERED engineer to fit !!

downside is they are about £170 !!

Sponsored Links
Just found this thread as my Potterton Suprima piece of **** has packed up.

I didn't know how to open the case but thanks to this thread, I found out where to apply the crow-bar and eventually prised it open.
(That's a joke for the benefit of the walking-stick-waving grannies on this forum who like to post the line "If you have to ask questions then you are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to post". You can get back to your knitting now.)

So anyway, following the troubleshooting flowchart in the maual, it looks like it might be the gas valve - the fan comes on, the igniter sparks but there's no ignition. Just before the igniter sparks there's 200v DC to the gas valve. This suggests to me that it's the valve that's duff. I'm trying to get a qualified technician in to look at it but I just wondered if the collective wisdom (not the grannies) could advise anything else I could try myself. I do know my limits though - I'm not going to adjust or remove anything safety-critical cos I know that I don't know what I'm doing.

Ta

I'm dismayed with some of the information/advice given on this forum from unqualified people. Keep it professional. :cry:

I'm dismayed with some of the information/advice given on this forum from unqualified people. Keep it professional. :cry:

GasMan, if your username is accurate then you have an enormous amount of experience to offer anyone posting here. I understand that the qualified guys probably compete to be top dog. But when the responses to people coming here asking for help descend to "You're a prat because you don't know what I know" it shows the whole forum up is a petty-minded, sad, pathetic sad act. It's perfectly reasonable to post saying "Hey, this is actually dangerous and my only advice to you is to call in someone qualified". Fine. But the guys who come in waving their walking sticks really should just get back to their knitting. No, I don't mean you, GasMan.

... or even better than saying "Get someone in", if you really know what your stuff, explain *why* it's dangerous in clear layman's terms. That would be professional. I'm a software engineer by trade and if we go into a meeting saying "You can't do that" we get the sack real quick. Just like any trade, the ones who do well are the ones who can engage with customers and managers on equal terms because they are secure enough in their own position/knowledge that they can front any question thrown at them in a professional, constructive way.

Hey, this is actually dangerous and my only advice to you is to call in someone qualified, because you appear not to have the equipment so check for gas leaks once installed, and how to set the gas pressure, let alone know about all the safety checks required.

Good enough?

I'm a software engineer by trade and if we go into a meeting saying "You can't do that" we get the sack real quick. Just like any trade, the ones who do well are the ones who can engage with customers and managers on equal terms

This is not a place of work. There are no managers or customers to 'engage' with. It's a free open forum. You ask for advice and if someone wants to help they do. You're not entitled to anything, you get what you're given.

This is not a place of work. There are no managers or customers to 'engage' with. It's a free open forum. You ask for advice and if someone wants to help they do. You're not entitled to anything, you get what you're given.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, Tibbot. I have no problem with that or any of the other comments since I first posted this morning, including misterdubya's. It's the people who post things like "If you have to ask for advice then you're too stupid for me to waste my time on", thereby wasting their time and mine, that I'm hoping will be too busy getting their blue rinse topped up to post. I've seen a lot of it on this site. Sad, really.

Rox - If you're going to be rude you won't get any help.

And if one has to ask how to remove a Suprima's cover - there really, really is no chance of fixing it oneself.

Get an RGI in to change your gas valve.

Rox - If you're going to be rude you won't get any help.

And if one has to ask how to remove a Suprima's cover - there really, really is no chance of fixing it oneself.

Get an RGI in to change your gas valve.

Or he could change it himself because no one has told him not to but if we did he'd have a paddy...

I've given up caring if they do the work themselves or not.... Just as long as they don't affect me...... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back