How do I patch up this flaking pebbledash render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage wall is looking terrible. The paint and a thin top coat of tender is flaking off on many places.

How should I best repair this without having to rerender the whole thing? Should I try and just paint over it, or perhaps cover with pva first and then paint it?

Sponsored Links
I cant make out if you have badly applied Tyrolean or a dashed coat with plastic paint? Perhaps its the thick layers of plastic paint that are mainly flaking off?

If you are looking for a cheap quick fix then perhaps wash the wall down, then remove all loose and flaky stuff. Cut away the bottom 50mm in ground contact.

Plastic paint is bad for render of any kind but maybe get further advice from the painters forum, and then re-paint the whole wall - dont use any PVA.

Thanks. I can't tell if it is plastic paint. It was already looking like this when we moved in a year ago.

I have normal exterior masonry paint. So it is ok to paint straight into that surface, after I have removed the crumbling parts?

If I hack off the bottom 5cm then how can I make that part look nice? Should I just paint it a different colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back