how do I re-finish this damaged oak veneer front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an oak veneer engineered front door. The varnish is cracking away at the bottom where it gets rained on (its under a porch area so doesn't get fully rained on). How would I go about renovating this door? Do I sand it back and re -varnish it? what products do I need?

Attachments

• A6F81DF5-482E-43EC-B513-56C8F0F2A8AE.jpeg
    A6F81DF5-482E-43EC-B513-56C8F0F2A8AE.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DE3ECE5F-1D0D-4399-B078-F224876AF4E6.jpeg
    DE3ECE5F-1D0D-4399-B078-F224876AF4E6.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Can you post photos?

Did you varnish the underside of the door? You may need to take it off to seal the underside properly though.

Whatever you do, you need to make sure that you don't sand through the veneer.

Can you post photos?

Did you varnish the underside of the door? You may need to take it off to seal the underside properly though.

Whatever you do, you need to make sure that you don't sand through the veneer.
I just posted a couple of pics. I didn’t varnish the door myself so I don't know whats underneath. How thick will the veneer be?

You should be ok to sand that back. The main problem with oil based varnish is that you need to sand all of it off. If you don't you will see where it has been touched up.

Personally I am a recent convert to the exterior OSMO oils. Provided that the wood doesn't get a chance to discolour, you can just wipe another coat of oil over the top.

I suspect that your door hasn't been sufficiently sealed on the underside. It is quite common given that the decorator isn't generally expected to take the door off to seal the underside, and in reality, most chippies (not all) don't want the hassle of applying a slow drying finish to the underside which may end up rubbing against the carpet.

Sponsored Links
You should be ok to sand that back. The main problem with oil based varnish is that you need to sand all of it off. If you don't you will see where it has been touched up.

Personally I am a recent convert to the exterior OSMO oils. Provided that the wood doesn't get a chance to discolour, you can just wipe another coat of oil over the top.

I suspect that your door hasn't been sufficiently sealed on the underside. It is quite common given that the decorator isn't generally expected to take the door off to seal the underside, and in reality, most chippies (not all) don't want the hassle of applying a slow drying finish to the underside which may end up rubbing against the carpet.
So I have to sand the whole exterior side of the door first? And are you using the Osmo UV protection oil? Would “clear” be the one to go for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back