How do i remove the old silicone before i reseal the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My bath desperately needs resealing, so i started trying to remove the existing silicone from the bath but it seems stuck for good. I'm using a spatula to get it off and it just doesn't seem to be happening... I live in a first floor flat so really need to make a good job of this before i upset my neighbours!

Sponsored Links
Sure I've seen a product called "silicon eater" for just this type of application.
When resealing the bath,ensure it is dry before you start,and half-fill the bath with water - leave until silicon has set (and remember to use one with anti-fungal properties)

Use a wood chisel, beveled edge against the bath or wall and slide it underneath the silicone. Works real well.
Cheers,
GCol

PowerTool said:
Sure I've seen a product called "silicon eater" for just this type of application.
I paid about £7 for this and really didn't work for me unless it certain type of sealant may work on?

Sponsored Links
masona said:
PowerTool said:
I paid about £7 for this and really didn't work for me unless it certain type of sealant may work on?
so did I waste of money :cry: :cry: Bloody stuff must eat silicone chips :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back