how do i replace a junior hacksaw blade oldish metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It only has a small piece of plastic at one end which I think you just push up but this doesn't seem to be working, any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't know but a fiver says you put it in the wrong way round.

A pic may be helpful

The new blade normally has a hole at one end and a cross-piece at the other. The cross-piece fits in the grooved end then you bend the frame a little and hook in the hole to the spigot on the other end.

You can buy a new frame, with blade, from most sheds for less than 2 quid!

Or, invest a couple more of our English pounds and get a decent one for less than a tenner.

Buy a new one...

Sponsored Links
If the frame looks to be made of a simple shaped piece of metal rod, then you can grip the handle and lean the pointy end against something to compress the blade part and ease the blade down from the grip end. It only needs to be compressed enough to release the tension in the blade. Just be very careful not to slip when leaning against it. The blade will have a small pin at right angle to the blade, at both ends, which fit into slots in the frame. When one end of the blade is released, the blade should just drop out of the other end. To fit a new blade, slide one end of the blade into the slot at the pointy end, then lean on the frame again and slip the other end of the blade into its slot. The plastic bit is just there to protect your fingers when using the saw. There is a large variation in blade quality and some will only handle wood. Eclipse is my preference. The frames with screw adjustment of the tension are nicer to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back