How do I secure timber gravel board to concrete fence posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new fence, but will keep the existing concrete fence posts. However, I'd prefer to use timber rather than concrete gravel boards – cost, aesthetics and ease – so how do I secure timber gravel board to the concrete post? Is this possible? Or am I making more trouble for myself than it's worth and just go for the concrete gravel boards? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
have the posts got slots in them?

why do you want to use timber gravel boards that will rot?

you can use dark brown masonry paint on concrete to make it blend in

have you seen my pic?

View media item 975

I would have thought a timber gravel board should slot inbetween the posts just like a concrete board does, provided that you have intermediate posts ('I' in cross-section) ?

Fence panels tend to rest on top of the boards, although there's no reason why you couldn't secure them to a wooden gravel board using brackets and screws if you wanted to.

I would go for concrete boards, personally. They might be more difficult to put in place, but they won't rot and warp like wooden boards will.

Concrete boards won't look out of place between concrete posts either, whereas wooden boards might.

What is there currently ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for replies. Yes, posts do have slots, but these don't go right to the ground. Instead there is a groove to hold panels up about five inches from soil – which is why I need gravel boards. I'll check tomorrow to see if gravel boards will simply fit between posts – I don't live at property I'm doing this for – but can't figure how timber gravel boards will remain secure, just squeezed between concrete posts and with a great, big fence resting on top of it. The concrete gravel boards have slots, which fence panel slips into, but timber gravel boards just seem like a long and flimsy plank of wood… to my untrained eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back