Timber gravel board into slotted posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there any reason why I can't use timber gravel boards with slotted concrete posts. The reason is to reduce costs, I have a 30m runof 6ft panel fence to build, and the concrete gravel boards are quite expensive (and ugly!)

I have slotted concrte posts coming halfway down the garden, but the bottom end of the garden we are changing the shape and extending the fence (smashing out a concrete driveway, to reclaim for lawn). Personally I don't like the look of concrete, so may go with 4" timber posts.

Thanks for your advice
Matt

Sponsored Links
No, no real reason you can't use timber if you wish although I would strongly advise buying protimised timbers for this application as anything else would be liable to rot away.

Protimised? is that a form of pressure teatment?

My thoughts were that I could spend £2 a board, then just slide them out of the slotted post and replace them when they have rotted.

Rolly, instead of putting your wooden gravalboards directly onto the soil, you can always put a brick / block pavier under each end to lift it just clear of the soil. That will prevent rotting, of which the main cause is just to the wood sitting on the soil.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes I have got a lot of gravel that I am disposing of (the previous owners concreted and graveled over the entire back garden!), I thought I might spread a small amount under the gravel boards.

Would the thickness, or maybe lack of it, be any issue. I'm assuming that the concrete gravel boards are a lot thicker and fit into the slot better. Or am I just finding things to worry about!

Yes protimised is a pressure injected preservative treatment, tanilised is a similiar process and it's common to find both used in exterior situations.
Thickness wise your timber should be cut to fit the slot so will be around 2" thick, thinner and it will rattle and tip, but to be honest with a budget of only £2 a board I think you may struggle to get suitable timbers.
There is a thread on this forum that talks about painting the concrete gravel boards and posts to make them look more like timber and less like , well, concrete. Might be an option?

If you go to or phone local builders merchants you may be able to get concrete gravel boards for as little as £7 with free delivery.
You don't necessarily need to have a trade account.

You can bury most of the concrete in the ground just leaving a couple of inches or so to stop the wood being in contact with the wet soil.

In my opinon the investment for concrete posts has already been made to stop you having to annually repair you fencing.
It'd be silly not to spend a few extra quid and cause yourself problems.

Won't it be a tricky job removing the panel to replace the wooden gravel board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back