How do I take scratches out of...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a kitchen with an oven in brushed stainless steel (at least that's what it looks like to me) and I noticed some fine, but quite visible, scratches on the front panel.

Today I picked up some ultra-fine steel wool and tried rubbing over the scratches very gently. However, the scratches are still there (though one bit did seem to disappear) and now the area that I treated with the wool is noticeably different from the surrounding area.

How can I get out of this one (before my client notices it!)? Thanks, John.

Sponsored Links
Get a Garryflex block, grit will depend on how brushed it is, probably a 60 or 120g one.
Make sure you use straight strokes.

We use them for regraining stainless after welding, folding etc.

Thanks, guys. Hmmm...difficult one because the part with the scratches is the control panel with lots of knobs. I would really have to remove all the knobs first, but then I could get into a situation where I'm digging myself in deeper and deeper, especially if it doesn't work too well due to my inexperience.

I was wondering if some jif or cif cream cleaner, applied with a light scouring pad might work.

Sponsored Links
The only way is to do a PROPER job, which means stripping it down, removing the panel, & use horizontal strokes.

Well guys, I'd like to have the time to do a proper job, but ultimately it's not my problem. It's regretable that it happened, but I need to get the job finished and move on. My client may not notice it, and anyway, she's renting the place out so the cooker will soon be covered in crud. The rest of the kitchen is looking spotless, though - next time I'll cover all appliances with something to avoid any damage and feeling upset over things like this (you see, I am a perfectionist, but sometimes you've got to let go...). Thanks anyway, I'll bear these remedies in mind for when it's my own kitchen!

No chance of getting them out if its a brushed steel, If you try to rub them down with any form of abrasive you will alter the brushed steel effect and consequently the sheen.
The only way to do it is to change the whole effect and do the full unit which is something you don't want to do as it will take hours.
Even if you try and blend the scratches in by rubbing an abrasive vertically you will have to create an absolutely straight set of lines but as the arm/elbow cannot create straight lines freehand you are up against it.
I have tried removing scratches from cooker hobs, sinks, splashbacks etc but ultimately you can never hide them without changing the appearance of the finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back