How do I tighten this window handle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve popped the covers off this handle expecting to find standard posi screws only to find what you see in the photo, and I’ve no idea how to tighten these. Does anyone know?

Also how do you get the circular white cover off the handle to tighten that hit as well? I broke a blade trying to pry it off.

Attachments

• IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6992.jpeg
    IMG_6992.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
They are pop rivets, you can't tighten them, need drilling out and new pop rivets put in

Also how do you get the circular white cover off the handle to tighten that hit as well? I broke a blade trying to pry it off.

They are riveted in place, in use, the rivet wears. The handle has a shaft, which is counter bored, then the shaft is put under pressure to force to turn the bore into a rivet. Best you can try to do, with no guarantee, is to...

Support the handle well, and with a suitable drift, hammer the rivet tight again.

Don't drill too deep OR hammer the remaining rivet through too hard, the glass is behind there thats why rivets have been used as screws would foul the glass

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a job for a pro. Is this something a window installer will do? As it happens I already needed someone to come out to fill fix a blown window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back