How do I use epoxy resin to secure 10mm studs in my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hanging a new hand basin on my newly tiled bathroom wall. I tried to use a type of 'rawlbolt' in which a sleeve is expanded using a tapered end of the stud. The studs just pulled out of the wall when I tried to tighten up the basin.Unfortunately, my walls are a combination of plasterboard and tiles on top of plaster & brick and thus are quite hollow and fragile for the first 75mm or so. I've been advised to use chemical or epoxy resin to secure the bolt along its whole length inside the wall. Is this correct? Is there another means of doing this? The basin is stopping me finishing this project...:cry:

Sponsored Links
Rimrogs said:
I'm hanging a new hand basin on my newly tiled bathroom wall. I tried to use a type of 'rawlbolt' in which a sleeve is expanded using a tapered end of the stud. The studs just pulled out of the wall when I tried to tighten up the basin.Unfortunately, my walls are a combination of plasterboard and tiles on top of plaster & brick and thus are quite hollow and fragile for the first 75mm or so. I've been advised to use chemical or epoxy resin to secure the bolt along its whole length inside the wall. Is this correct?..........YES ;) Is there another means of doing this? :idea: Have you seen those iron S `s on the side of old buildings :?: The basin is stopping me finishing this project...:cry:
don`t :cry: listen to an old yokel :LOL:

Rimrogs said:
my walls are a combination of plasterboard and tiles on top of plaster & brick and thus are quite hollow and fragile for the first 75mm or so.
I need to understand what the wall materials set up you have. Are you saying you have plasterboard > hollow area > then brickwork?

It is brick, plaster, thin ceramic tile, plasterboard, skim to plasterboard then my 12mm thick limestone tile on 5mm adhesive bed. There might be a gap where the ceramic tile has broken up and dropped behind the plasterboard.
The total depth from surface to bottom of hole is 140mm of which I think the last 80mm (approx) is the original brick & plaster.
The hole is around 15mm diam and the stud is around 12mm (inc thread)

Sponsored Links
More of a worry is that skimmed palsterboard is not upto supporting 12mm stone and adhesive it will only hold 20kg per sq mtr you have got about double that :!: :!: :!:

Should have stuck and screwed Aquapanel to the walls as that will take 50kg per sq mtr, 12mm stone is a flooring thickness.

Jason

Rimrogs said:
It is brick, plaster, thin ceramic tile, plasterboard, skim to plasterboard then my 12mm thick limestone tile on 5mm adhesive bed. There might be a gap where the ceramic tile has broken up and dropped behind the plasterboard.
The total depth from surface to bottom of hole is 140mm of which I think the last 80mm (approx) is the original brick & plaster.
The hole is around 15mm diam and the stud is around 12mm (inc thread)

youve got atleast 26.5mm/29.5mm thickness to fix to cant you use normal brown plugs?

What sort of plugs are these jbonding? The basin weighs around 5kg and the studs are 12mm diameter and 150mm long - I'm not familiar with any plugs which can handle this.
Thanks for all your interest though

15mm hole for a 12 mm Rawl type fixing, it sounds like you’ve oversized the holes! With 140mm mm of depth, I would expect this type of fixings to "grab" quiet easily!

If this is a wall hung basin then you can forget brown plugs into plasterboard :confused:

As your wall is brick it will be possible to use resin binded anchors but there is still a slight risk of the unsupported section of the stud sagging if a lot of weight is put on the basin.

I assume the basin came with fixings like this If so you will need to replace the metal screw part with longer M12/M10 studding to suit the plastic spacers and nuts.

You must then remove all dust from the holes before injecting the resin, this comes in a cartridge like a mastic tube with a long nozzel. Once the hole (in the brick) is full of resin push the studding into the hole and support it until the resin has set.

Then bolt the basin to the wall, the only worry being that the dabbed plasterboard may get pulled into the wall as you tighten the nuts and crack your tiles :cry:

It would have been much better to use a metal hanging frame for your basin in the first place.

Jason

Also might be worth thinking about changing the basin to a vanity unit sink basin type as the weight will be directly onto the floor

if you're really stuck, you might have to remove the tiles in the area that the basin will be attached to the wall, but out all the plasterboard etc and expose the bare brick. Cement the wall out to bring it back to level when you refit the limestone and then use the resin fixings on the studding. That will stop sink from sagging because you have removed the cavity behind the plasterboard and given it a solid backing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back