How do I wire cylinder thermostat to a central heating pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I wire a cylinder thermostat to a central heating pump?
I have an HTS3 cylinder thermostat that I want to use to turn on an off a Wilo Gold RS50 pump.

This is part of a very simple system I have created in a garage. I am heating the water in the tank separately from any boiler or the like, and that's not the issue.

I am not trying to use the stat to control the heat, or the method I use to get heat, I am trying to control a pump.

When the water in the tank reaches 50 degrees, I want the pump to circulate the water out of the tank and into a single radiator and back again.

Simple.

The HTS3 stat has three connectors in it. One is 'common, one is '1' - call for heat, and the other is '2' - satisfied.

The pump has three connectors too - live, negative and earth.

THE QUESTION:!!!
How do I wire the stat to the pump? I will have cable coming from 240v mains supply - -three wires, live, negative and earth.

Many thanks.

ps, sorry if this should have gone in the electricians forum, I wasn't sure where it should go. :)

Sponsored Links
live, negative and earth

It's called "Neutral"!

Live to common, call for heat to pump live.

Maybe you should get someone more faliliar with electrics to help?

Sorry, yes, neutral.

So if the live goes to the common terminal, I then run a wire from 'call for heat' to the live on the pump?

So, the neutral wire from the mains - does that just go straight to the neutral on the pump?

Same with earth? Straight to the earth on the pump?

I do have some help, but that's not until tonight, and I would like some info before hand.

Many thanks

I've wired the stat to the pump as descibed, but what I can't understand is why, when I plug in the power that that the pumps is activated.

The stat is set to 50 degrees. When I turn it down to just about zero, the pumps stops.

What I want to happen though, is for the pump NOT to run until the indicated temperature is reached.

Could I achieve this by wiring the pump to the 'Satisfied' terminal on the stat instead of the 'Call for Heat' terminal?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back