How do you hang radiators in this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took my rads off to decorate and now i cannot get them back on because the ends of the rads keep hitting the valves on the pipe.

My pipes were chased into the wall so i do not have any movement

Given this situation, how does one get the rads back on?

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up?

I assume the radiator is the same and the valves are still in situ and haven’t moved?

What’s changed to stop you re-fitting it? You haven’t mixed up the radiators you have removed have you?

Sounds like you need an assistant or two, to ease the valves apart whilst you lower the radiator onto the brackets

thanks @Hairymelon

will give it another shot with an assistant

failing that, will i have to drain the system, remove the valve, drop the rad and then reinstall the valve?

Sponsored Links
You will have a little wiggle room on the pipework to ease the rad valves on, did you move the brackets? If you put one end on the bracket first then slide it along so the valve slides onto the tail then as you ease the other end down pull the valve to the left just enough to drop the rad onto the bracket.

As @denso13 suggest if it came off it will go back on again.

There is usually a little sideways movement on the rad hooks, if you have a longer, heavier rad, then lining it up centrally between both valves can be tricky without assistance. One trick I've seen used is to tie a rope to the rad, and hang it over your shoulders, (like a milkmaid's yoke), which will free up your hands to guide it better into position.

Took my rads off to decorate and now i cannot get them back on because the ends of the rads keep hitting the valves on the pipe.

My pipes were chased into the wall so i do not have any movement

Given this situation, how does one get the rads back on?

How long were they off for? As in did you remove them for decorating and chasing them into the wall, or are you saying they were already this way (chased in)? If the latter then as said they should go back in, if the former than obviously some movement occurred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back