How do you install a steel beam between floor joists?

21 Dec 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to install a 152 x 152 x 23 universal column (UC) at right angles to existing wooden floor joists. This is to help support a spiral staircase leading up to the new loft conversion.

I'll be checking with the SE, but just wondered if anyone has done this. What's the standard procedure here: infill both webs of the UC with structural grade timber that overhangs UC width and length and then connect this timber to the existing floor joists with hangers?

If so, how do you secure the structural timber to the UC (bolt through/Hilti?)

Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
You bolt timber onto the web both sides. Use 10mm threaded bar or bolts at 600c/s.
Timber needs to overlap the flanges a little so us 3" thick timber (you'll need to cut it down to a suitable depth to get in the space between the flange).
Joists fixed with joist hangers.
Thanks for taking the time to reply tony1851, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links