How do you plumb in a basin and take care of the overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Girly questions I'm afraid...
I am going to replace an inset basin.
Old one had pop-up waste with pop-up not working and a huge crack in it after I poured boiling water in it...oops!
New basin (although second-hand to match the colour) has ordinary waste pipe as the basin has a plug chain hole.
I have bought a new goldy waste pipe the same size as the old silvery one and that presumably just fits to the white plastic drainage pipes underneath the basin with the big nut sealed airtight to the basin.
How does the basin overflow work ?
The overflow is integral to the basin but how do you get the water that comes out of it to go down the waste pipe?
The old waste pipe that was there was set in with what looked like putty - it wasn't set but was all gooey. Is that what I need to do with the new one cos surely if water comes down the overflow it would go down the outside of the waste pipe and sit in the gap between the waste pipe and the basin ?

Sponsored Links
u need a slotted basin waste. the slots let water out from the overflow

And don't use the gooey stuff (plumbers mait), thats a bodge. Just make sure that everything (sink, rubber seals / washers, fittings) is clean and dry. Take care to not cross thread and do up tightly and you should be ok.
As JPC said, a slotted basin waste takes care of the overflow. Just check the instructions with the one you buy as depending on the type of seals / washers they provide, they may recommend a smear of silicone on them.

Thanks, I'll have a look at what I have bought.
I got the basin waste from B&Q at the weekend.
By slotted I presume you mean when you look down the plughole it has the criss-cross bars - it has those.
I believe it just came with the big nut that you fit it with. No other washers or rubber seals but I can go get some if need be.

Sponsored Links
no..not the cross bars.......dohh

look down the plug hole and u should have 2 cuts out from the wall of the waste to allow water in to the waste and down the wastepipe

10242.gif

you can see the slots in the sides ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back