How do you tile to a solid brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have recently started a self build project converting an old farmhouse into a modern home of which the walls are up,and roof trussing nearly finished. Im planning to tile the roof myself and have pretty much figured out what to do but a few questions still remain unanswered and im hoping someone can help.

1. How do i tile up to a block wall? (sunroom is stepped down from main house.I have cavity trays fitted following intended roof pitch so do i fit lead under the lead in the trays and flatten down over tiles that meet the wall)

2. is there a particular way breathable membrane goes onto a dormer??

3. Do valleys need or have to have extra membrane ?? the reason i ask this is the old roof i took off had lashings of pvc type plastic in the valleys

4.Ideally i am going to attempt to cut the tiles into the valleys and not have lead ones.Im using a 6" rosemary tile but do i still have to put lead under the tiles?? (again,this is how it was done in the old house and it looked in my opinion alot nicer finish)

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Cut tiles instead of lead?is that what you mean,no lead but cut tiles into valley????if so you cant do that,you can get rosmary valley tiles.

Sponsored Links
Good Morning,

yes,i mean to cut the tiles into the valleys instead of lead as this is how it was done on the previous building.The man that done it was my uncle and although it took him an age an a day it looked really well. I would be interested though in valley tiles if i knew where to get them,any suggestions??

many thanks for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back