GRP Valley meets next does roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well im about to put a new roof on with fibre cement slate tiles , never done this before only ever done clay tiles,

any tips /tools for removing old slate tiles ?

my biggest concern is im removing the old lead valley which is the whole cause of a new roof, and replace it with a grp valley but at the bottom it runs about 3 tiles into next doors roof which also has one of them joining plastic strips running down which is inbetween my tiles and his.

whats the best way going about doing this . do i just install the valley all the way down ,leave the joining strip inbetween ?

would a 250mm gauge be ok for 600mmx300m tiles ?
the slates have the middle pre drilled holes but not ones for the rivets do i need to pre drill these ?

any help would really be grateful

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the way you need to slate or drill holes but.....

Regarding the lead valley, I'd just rip all of the old valley out and replace it with the GRP (or replace with lead?), That may mean interfearing with the tiles next door..IE removing the valley tiles from next door then re-tiling once complete.

You'll have to go all the way....from top to bottom with the new valley in my opinion.

Any gaps will need some compo.

Dunno about the way you need to slate or drill holes but.....

Regarding the lead valley, I'd just rip all of the old valley out and replace it with the GRP (or replace with lead?), That may mean interfearing with the tiles next door..IE removing the valley tiles from next door then re-tiling once complete.

You'll have to go all the way....from top to bottom with the new valley in my opinion.

Any gaps will need some compo.

yep that was my plan for the valley to get x2 and run it all the way down ,like you say i will probly have to interfear with next door removing the plastic joiner and connecting my tiles onto his ,
thanks for the reply all the info i can get helps :D

Sponsored Links
250mm is the right gauge for 600 x 300 f/c slates. they should also be pre holed for the rivets aswell, cant see why they wouldnt be.

there is no option but remove a couple of the neighbours roof tiles, when they had their roof done they probably took a slate or two off of yours..
valley, strip out lead in full. grp top to bottom do your slates then their tiles as is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back